Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How often do you eat or serve dessert? >

How often do you eat or serve dessert?

How often do you eat or serve dessert?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Growing up we had dessert every night after supper...and usually a cookie or 2 after lunch. No way I can do that anymore. Now I usually have a bit of chocolate every evening, and a dessert sometime during the weekend.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM

I fix a cake or cookies about once a month. the rest of the time my dh either has ice cream or a bowl of sweet cereal like lucky charms. for me I love fruit. Absolutely love it. Sometimes its an apple which I could eat three a day if only I was allowed it or like last night and tonight a bowl of fresh pineapple, raspberries and blueberries mixed up. thats it no whip cream or icecream or chocolate. I think its like a bowl of greatness. I sometimes make oranges, pineapple and grapefruit another favorite dessert of mine. Company depends most of our friends do not prefer dessert either so rarely do I offer a sweet for later. I do always have a candy bowl with hard candies and chocolates for guests. I also will make up say a batch of candied pecans or walnuts and put that out. they get snacked on.

growing up dessert was just like described above. a reward if you finished your dinner. I rarely finished my dinner and sat in the kitchen at the table in the dark crying as I was to sit there til I was finished. Mom made sure to make noise about the good dessert she was serving to the family in the other room. who wants cake? who wants ice cream with chocolate sauce... it always tore me up. I ate dessert in my early 20's because well I could even if I didnt eat everything lol but later realized it really wasnt all that
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM

I learned to make homemade cream pies w meringue at the early age of 12 on the farm. The men folks worked hard and could burn up the calories. Likewise the women... Dad had a sweet tooth and I can still see him with a glass of milk w pieces of white bread in it and plenty of sugar. I guess we didn't have any sweets around at that time. Sliced tomatoes on his plate always had a mound of sugar on top. In summer we made three or four pies every day, sometimes cake. We were a family of 6 children and Dad quite often had hired hands and sometimes Mom had a hired girl to help mainly when we are were very young.. Every Saturday a dessert was prepared for Sunday. I like desserts after every meal even if it is just a piece of candy. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Cookies and ice cream for the kids, no sweets now they are out of the house. My husband says he is sweet enough as it is. Seldom eat dessert unless fancy restaurant/important meal.
But I grew up with 'real' desserts all the time, grandmother was a fine pastry cook. Puffed pastries, Napoleons, cupcakes and cakes, jam-filled cookies, Danish pastries, egg custards and custard filling, apple pies, blueberry pies in season. Sigh.
I have a little screen print of gooey desserts, says "Life is uncertain, eat dessert FIRST!"
Old 04-10-2013, 02:06 AM

I grew up with jello, fruit, and pies only on vacation at Grandmas house in Oklahoma. As a young married I made baked bananas fot the boys. For adults you only had to add brandy and set it afire for Bananas Foster. As the family grew came the fruit cocktail cake and banana nut bread. The Banana nut is still a favorite and baked all year long.
My Mom in later years was satisfied with only a Tablespoon of ice cream for dessert. My children when small also ate ice cream for breakfast..... Bon Appetite
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 AM

My mother was a stay at home mom and she always had either fresh rolls or gingerbread for us when we got home from school, but we only had desserts on special holidays.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM

We never really had dessert growing up. A few times a year we'd have strawberry shortcake during strawberry season, but that was really it for, "designated for dessert" sweets. We did (and still do) always have some sort of sweets in the house. Cookies, candy bars, ice cream, etc. I usually bake something sweet at least once a week for us to eat throughout the week whenever. This past week I made lemon rolls (like cinnamon rolls, but lemon). My sister had asked for a chocolate cheesecake, but I had a craving for something lemony. Now she wants more lemony things, so this week I will make a lemon cheesecake. Other weeks, I'll make cookies or brownies or a cake or whatever else.

It seems to be, though, that some things go in a certain amount of time, no matter how much is available. If I make one pan of brownies, they are gone in a day. If I make two pans in hopes that they will last two days... nope. Gone in a day. It's the same way with cookies. If I make a whole batch of cookies at once (let's say six dozen), they are gone in a day or two. But if I only make a couple dozen every other day, those two dozen are enough to last the full two days between bakings.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Depends on what you mean by dessert. I like something sweet after a meal, even if it is just a couple of jellybeans or a piece of bread with jelly. My husband will eat molasses or honey on bread or cornbread for dessert. I love cakes but make myself wait for special occasions to make them. I'd say we have a "real" dessert once a week or less, cookies or brownies, or strawberry shortcake. I do like to have dessert when we have company over, though.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

My Pop pop would have two slices of buttered sugar bread every night after diner.

Desserts were special occasion only.
peace