Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinking about starting my own quilting related business >

Thinking about starting my own quilting related business

Thinking about starting my own quilting related business

Old 04-12-2013, 04:22 AM

I agree stay at your job. I have a small LAQ business. My husband and I started it when he retired (I retired 4 years before him). Yes we enjoy the business and have made some income from it, but we do have our retirements too. A small quilt show near my home started up really big. They did not have extra set aside, and when they were making great money, it was spent on things she enjoyed doing, traveling to see her kids and other things not related to the business. Well, two years ago, after 6 years in business she decided the business can run itself. NO, customers did not come in for her husband to cut fabric, they wanted her advise and help. Well, there is no business there now, and they have nothing to show for it. So stay with your job, and pay off your debt, save and have at least a years income to cover your living expense and start your business. Good luck with what you decide.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 AM

Your repair/restoriation business sound like a great part -time job-- especially to start. Sound like you may need to go national to get enough business to quit you full time job! Also sound like you need a vacation! Or perhaps you should check into changing jobs- either in your current company or with another. When you own your on business the "customer" is you boss and they are not always nice. Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on what everyone else suggested.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 AM

You might try teaching quilt making. along with the quilt shop. I have done that and it works too.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 AM

I work with small business and many have gone under in the last few years. There is good advice on this post.
Take it to heart.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 AM

Your profile doesn't say where you are located, so I'm just throwing this out there for your information. Stitchin' Heaven in Mineola, TX, has a "boot camp" for people who are thinking about starting a quilting business. Not having been to it, I have no other information, but there might be something similar in your area. If there is a college in your area, they may have an extension course on starting a business.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM

I'm about 4 months into my business. We paid off all of the debt, my hubby still has his job/insurance that covers us both. I semi-retired, with a small eBay business to fund my quilting business. I thought about the craft show circuit, but so many people pass your booth saying "I could make that myself so much cheaper!" So I learned how to make the patterns! Now when I hear that, I know I'll make a sale!
I have only 2 patterns in print right now, so I haven't done those expensive booths yet. I'd like to have 4-6 in hand before spending $1000 on a booth! Only selling now online and through a few pattern sites as well. It hasn't taken off yet, but I have faith in my project.
I started my eBay business about a year before I quit my regular job so I'd know the time and money involved. (I buy stuff at auctions and estate sales and re-sell it. ) I learned to buy only stuff I know I can flip fast and for at least double the money. It has to fit in my car and be easy to pack and ship. It's been fun to learn and both businesses have been a great way to write off all of my quilting supplies, fabric and a few other purchases-not to mention the mileage deduction.
Don't kid yourself about time. Everything has a learning curve. My drawing program, any photo program, putting up a website, learning Instagram, twitter, Facebook, pinterest, blogging, different online outlets for your products. It takes time to learn them and get them to be second nature so you're spending more time on your business than your technology.

So- start small. If you love what you're doing, it won't wear you out after your day job. You'll learn lessons (make mistakes) specific to what you're doing while you still have an income and it won't be fatal to your bottom line. You'll see if you like it enough to do it full time. You'll learn how to price your services where you'll get customers and feel good about what you're making. And master one technology thing every month or so. Let your hobby help pay off your debt before you leave your job.
I think you'll be surprised how much less you dislike your job when you have an exit plan in the works!
Good luck! It's a journey!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:36 AM

If you can afford it go for it. Expect to put in long hours.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 AM

I am hearing and agreeing with staying at your job, at least until you debts get paid down.
You say you are dissatisfied with your current job. Are there things there that you can change to increase your satisfaction (other than quitting)? Think of the good things that happen there, when you think a negative thought about your job, stop that thought and find two positive things about your job...and a pay check may be the only positive thing. Try to think positive thoughts about co-workers. I know it sounds like Pollyanna, but I firmly believe that positive thinking works.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM

It doesn't cost anything to dream When my job or any area in my life is a struggle, work, marriage, teenagers, Gratitide is a huge help in turning things around. I make a list daily of 5 things I'm grateful for. If work is tough its 5 gratitudes about work. If my hubby is getting on my last nerve... its 5 gratitiudes about hubby/our marriage. Just a thought that might help stablemom on the work front