Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilted door curtain FINISHED! >

Quilted door curtain FINISHED!

Quilted door curtain FINISHED!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Hans was surprised I hung it this way - he said in Holland they hang the pretty side OUT for the neighbours to see! :shock: I said b&#ger the neighbours! I did all the work so I'm looking at the pretty side! :lol:
k, i think you're right. you only go around once.

in holland, as well as in other parts of europe, 'housepride' is very important, to the point of being uncomfortable one's self, if necessary. what the neighbors think of you probably has it's roots in showing off your wealth.

like in the expression "lace curtain irish", where a family might just make do, but neighbors would see those curtains made of lace and the family could hold their heads up. it would be embarrassing to be thought to need help, even though really people would understand.

i see it all the time here in the usa. we have neighbors who bought those mini-mansions, spent a fortune on landscaping, put in a pool and now can't afford to furnish. i brought a sick neighbor a plate of brownies and she was embarrassed to ask me in because she has a card table and two folding chairs in her enormous dining room and her living room is totally empty. it will never occur to her to sell and buy anything affordable. what good is that big house doing her if she can't enjoy it?

look at your door quilt all day long and be pround of it. :P
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yup - you're right, as always! :mrgreen:

The first time I was in Holland with Hans, I commented on how well kept and nicely arranged all the house fronts and gardens were. He kind of did a 'humph' noise and said 'they only do that to impress'. He's maybe a bit cynical, but there's certainly an element of that.

My Granny used to say of ppl like that 'all fur coat and no knickers'! Just about sums it up, I think. :lol:
Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM

I Think you should do one for the cat's door also, that would be really cute!! That little door probable lets in more cold air than you think.
either way it is a very good idea and i am going to try and get one up in my bedroom.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 AM

What a great ideas!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 AM

What a wonderful idea. I might try that for a door that goes from the master bedroon onto a deck. I have never worried about covering that door before, BUT I husband just passed away. The funeral was yesterday. I am lonely this is a dark rainey day here in Tennessee. I have a sheet over that door now, I feel better with it covered since I am alone now. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilting Fran
What a wonderful idea. I might try that for a door that goes from the master bedroon onto a deck. I have never worried about covering that door before, BUT I husband just passed away. The funeral was yesterday. I am lonely this is a dark rainey day here in Tennessee. I have a sheet over that door now, I feel better with it covered since I am alone now. Thank you for sharing.
I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM

Wonderful idea love it
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM

Very nice....much prettier than any store bought drapery. You did a great job! :-D
Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Awesome!!! Very pretty too!!! :D :D :D the tie back is a lovely touch too :mrgreen:
I really like how well it gathers when pulled back...I would have thought it would be bulkier.
Hmmm I am thinking this would be much nicer than insulated drapes in my living and dining rooms 8)
I was thinking the same thing. My slider is on the north side and it is next to our dining area. This would really warm up the area next winter....hmmmm :roll:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Wow, your quilts are both beautiful. Glad someone noticed your old post and posted to it so I got to see original posting. Great idea to cover that door. Has your cat gotten over it being there? Your wall quilt with house is great.

Kat