Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Electronic Tablets to Aid Your Quilting? >

Electronic Tablets to Aid Your Quilting?

Electronic Tablets to Aid Your Quilting?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:58 AM

I have an Asus tablet - has an android operating system. It does just about everything that a laptop does. I use it for reading some, but find the black & white Kindle easier on the eyes. I haven't stumbled over much in the way of quilting apps, and I prefer reference books in hard copy, so am not too tempted by on line versions. I'm not exactly sure what a quilting app would actually do for me. I've downloaded a few on my phone, but have not really found a use for them yet.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 AM

My Kindle Fire just thru me out of a book I was reading. The thing is so touchy. Ive had it for over a year and Im not impressed with it. Paper is so much better.
One thing Im impressed with is my connection between my computer and my TV. I get YouTube on my TV so watch lots of quilting videos.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 AM

Grocifer - I may be speaking out of turn. I don't have a Kindle but I do have a Nook tablet and I can view craftsy pages and the quilt board on the nook. You shouldn't need a new password....I can sign in with my normal passwords. That being said, I did have some difficulties at first since tablets modify their pages (not sure if it's for speed or limited capacity). Once I got them set up and had them save my info, things got much easier.

Also I love watching the craftsy classes on my Nook using my earplugs. Quality classes that teach advanced techniques. It seems like the lqs just always teach beginner's classes (which are fine) but I'm passed that point and would still like to learn more advanced things.

Good luck with your kindle.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM

you can email craftsy, the guy is super prompt to address any problems.

Now back to the thread How much does the internet cost using these devices. I get that you can use wi-fi in built up areas but don't you have to pay for usage otherwise?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM

I just got a Kindle fire hd a couple weeks ago and am still learning but so far...I LOVE it. I "borrowed" Tula Pinks new quilt book and will borrow others now that I know I can do this.. love the words with friends, and so many free books and games, just a fun thing to have.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM

I haven't gotten a tablet or eReader. The eReaders seem to be to heavy for me to sit and read. A tablet might be more useful, provided it can handle all the applications that I can run on a laptop, and has adequate storage space. I have been intrigued by the ones I've seen. My husband is convinced that a tablet will replace my 5 yo laptop when it eventually dies. But I will be missing the DVD reader/writer in my laptop, so will need an external one, and USB ports to connect stuff. I keep wanting a computer lighter and smaller.

I know I don't want a tablet where all the applications are in the cloud. Then it would be useless unless you had a wi-fi connection, or paid some exorbitant rate for a cellular connection, when I already have a broadband connection at home. I know that a smart phone is too small a screen to use as your only computer. And a tablet can double as an ereader, albeit heavier, so I wouldn't want both.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
you can email craftsy, the guy is super prompt to address any problems.

Now back to the thread How much does the internet cost using these devices. I get that you can use wi-fi in built up areas but don't you have to pay for usage otherwise?
At home the tablet will use your existing internet connection and will not cost anything extra, unless for some reason you have some kind of limit plan. Out and about many places have free Wifi service.

Where the extra charges come is using the cellular network on your tablet. For example. I cannot connect to my employer's Wifi so I have ATT service for my iPad. Most people do not do this. It is about 30.00 extra per month through my cell plan.