Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts in the movie Lincoln????? >

Quilts in the movie Lincoln?????

Quilts in the movie Lincoln?????

Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks ladies for all your imput and interests. let's keep this thread going and see who can come up with the pattern for the quilts. We really nned to add a new quilt to our "Bucket List" hahaha!!!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM

New books and items to read:
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/...eum-quilt.html
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 AM

Anyone have the movie at home so it can be stopped to see the quilts?????
Old 04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Banned

trennag - thank you for the link. I spent a while reading thru it and various other links. I want to find Elizabeth Keckley's book, it sounds interesting. This was a very good movie. Well worth a watch!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

This reminds me of a movie What Lies Beneath. I watch that movie and always pause it or pay attention for the out door garden scene!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 AM

Haven't seen the movie. Thanks for mentioning it and I will pay closer attention and thanks for the link.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 AM

I would like to keep researching more since I love Civil War Fabrics!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Tried the links given by Craftiladi but could not find a article. Can you give me more information to clarify what you posted.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 06:17 AM

Default Thanks for this info

Originally Posted by lfty298 View Post
Hi Bebe -
I think I remember 2 also - one on the president's bed or maybe a wall hanging? the 2nd - much clearer, was on Thaddeus Stevens' bed. That was pretty simple - Ohio Stars arranged as 9 patches and then each large 9 patch (of stars and plain blocks) were separated by wide sashing. It looked like it was kind of silky fabric - and maybe more of a comforter than an actual quilt - but I can be wrong on that memory. I am thinking of making that quilt too. I looked online to see if there was any collection of Stevens' possession. His house and office in Lancaster Pa are preserved - but there are no interior pictures that I could find.
And I have a question. I am reading Elizabeth Keckley's autobiography (available free on Google Books) and she mentions her system of dress making several times. Does anyone know what she is referring to? I wonder if she was working on standardized patterns? Also, no mention of sewing machines. I know they were pretty wide spread by the turn of the century - but I thought they were in use much earlier in the 1800's.
Lefty
Just downloaded this book Thanks.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Have not seen the movie nor do I know anything about President Lincoln other than what one was taught in history however having read this article IMHO I think it is disgraceful that this poor woman was treated so shamefully by both the American public and by her supposed friend Mrs Lincoln, who it would seem she was only trying to help in which ever way she could under the circumstances. Shame on the public who should have been more outraged with the neglect of congress to support the assassinated Presidents widow and family than they were with the selling of a few dresses and a book or two. I am not sure I particularly want to see this movie at all now.