Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart >

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Quilting Supplies at Wal-Mart

Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a small 3 -drawer plastic storage container where I put my threads, and I love the Hefty 2 1/2 gallon storage bags. I've been trying to get more organized (hopefully) and tired of going to start a project only to find I don't have the magazine, pattern, fabric, whatever. Now when I find a pattern/quilt I want to make, I put the magazine/pattern in the zip lock bag along with the fabrics to make the quilt, so it's all in one place. I think it will make my life a whole lot easier, as yesterday I was going through old quilt magazines and found a pattern for a wall hanging I've been looking for, it's going to go into a zip lock bag or at least into the plastic box where I have magazines for Christmas projects. It's amazing what "quilting supplies" you can find when you step outside the box and outside the fabric dept.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 AM

I love the 2 1/2 gallon bags, I have used them in my sewing room for some time and don't know how I ever stayed organized without them. I also found some small plastic storage boxes in the jewelry making making section that are perfect for all my bobbin storage.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Wall Mart has a lot of good deals on quilting supplies . They are limited on rulers and other fancy gadgets...I bought some storage bins at Costco....5 different colored containers for 19.99.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
Wall Mart has a lot of good deals on quilting supplies . They are limited on rulers and other fancy gadgets...I bought some storage bins at Costco....5 different colored containers for 19.99.
Good deal! Wish we had a Costco nearby. But, there is a Big Lots - I haven't checked them out lately.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:01 AM

Also look at sewing in the crafts the notions are cheeper than when they say quilting. I found the same marking penciles in both places and the ones marked for sewing was 18 cent cheaper. Packaging had S or Q on then. Strange, and same brand name too.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 AM

I have so many projects in progress that several times when I was ready to finish a quilt I realized I had used the backing material on another quilt. Now I have the tops hanging on hangers waiting to be quilted and each quilt has a 2-1/2 gallon bag attached to the hanger with binder clips. The bag will contain the backing fabric, all the remaining fabric from front, the pattern instructions and sometimes the binding all cut, pressed and rolled up waiting for me to finish (long wait in most cases).....not enough hours in the day when you work full time.

I have project (pizza) boxes stacked up with fabrics I've pulled and patterns waiting to be started. The boxes work well for the piecing part, the hangers work well for the waiting to be quilted part. I tape a plastic page sleeve on the outside of the box with a picture of the quilt that I plan to work on.

Debbie
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Has any one ever used the shoe tubs to store projects in until you decide to finish the project. I have a dozen or so to put my fabic in that I have purchased for various projects. I also use 2 x 3 inch labels on the ends with packing tape over it. I then write the name of the person or the pattern name on the end of the tub. When I finish the project I take the name off with alcohol or fingernail polish remover. I have used both. I also get the next size bigger to store larger projects that the backing has been purchased for. I also store projects in large freezer bags and put the lap size or throws in the same tubs, I got them at Family Dollar.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 AM

Thank you for your suggestion, Im always looking to save fabric $$ when it comes to quilting supplies. Another place to check for plastic zip storage bag is at the Dollar Tree. They come in small, med., large., xl and xxl sizes. I like the xxl size because I can keep all the fabric Im using for my project in these bags, then when im ready to take my quilt project topper to the longarm quilter, i can put my batting and backing fabric into the bag with my topper. These bag has a builtin handle too, and theyre strong plastic bags. Checkout your Dollar Tree, Supplies in Florida is going FAST. Dollar Tree also carry regular 2.5 gal. ziplock type storage bags.

Last edited by localgirl1; 04-14-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 AM

Never heard of this. How do I get one? their supplies and fabric are improving regularly.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 AM

It's spooky to look at your dog. Spitting image of my beagle collie mix who passed. My DH's favorite dog. What breed is yours?