Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Bereavement Blankets for Newborns >

Bereavement Blankets for Newborns

Bereavement Blankets for Newborns

Old 04-13-2013, 02:40 PM
T.

What a lovely thought and act! I can't visualize what you do with the blanket. Do you fold it up somehow? sorry if I sound kind dumb
Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

bless you for heping with newborns in need this group is very dear to my heart i make the all white ones about 10 inches also and quilt hearts on them thank you for all you do for them
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

So thoughtful!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 PM

Wonderful, caring and thoughtful gesture. Bless you!!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Having loved, and then lose a baby at 28 weeks, this post made a lump in my throat. What a wonderful gift you give to grieving parents. They didn't have such a thing back in the day. These blankets are something I would also like to make. Thankyou for posting. I didn't know there was such a thing. Thankyou for making these as well. Your very kind.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Power Poster

What a beautiful, thoughtful thing to do. A valuable part of the healing process, I am sure. Years ago, this wouldn't have happened, many people suffered, it was almost as if the loss never happened. Bless you.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM

i am sure your efforts are greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2013, 12:21 AM

amazed at your thoughtfulness, the parents will surely treasure the tiny blankets for their precious child
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM

I'm surprised at all the comments. If anyone has had a question, I've pm-d them to answer. However, maybe others have the same question. If you're interested in doing the same for your local hospital, I'd recommend you call the labor and delivery department and ask to speak to the charge nurse, or nurse in charge that day. You can describe what you've seen here and see if they have a need for it or if there's someone else they can direct you to, so you can help.

To anyone who has lost a newborn, (no matter how far along you were in your pregnancy), I am sorry for your loss. It's not something that I feel should be hidden or tucked away. It is a terrible experience and we need to be able to grieve and move forward in some sense of regular life afterwards.

It took me a few years to figure out why I turned into such a nasty person at the end of March every year. Being Irish I loved celebrating St. Patrick's Day with my whole family. We always had a big party. Then I'd get very cranky for a few weeks after. Couldn't seem to blame it on 'that time of the month' as it never was. Finally I realized that 2 of the babies I lost were due about that time. Eureka! Since that discovery, I've not had a bad March! I cherish the children I do have and heal a little bit more every time I make a bereavement blanket for a newborn that doesn't make it. It doesn't make me sad to make these blankets.

I've personally wrapped a few babies in the blankets that I've made. Some experiences are more emotional than others, but I'm there to assist the patients and families in any way I can.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 AM

This is a beautiful gift you are giving these grieving families. Twelve years ago, we lost of daughter, born at 27 weeks. The tiny hat, gown and blanket she was placed in were a great comfort to me for a long time. They even smelled like her, may seem strange to some, but was a wonderful comfort. Bless you for tending to these heart-broken families.