Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In love with accuquilt go >

In love with accuquilt go

In love with accuquilt go

Old 04-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Now that your have your GO, check out www.diecutyourfabric.com. It was mentioned in a thread a few days ago, and backed up by board members as a safe place to buy dies deeply discounted.

I love, love, love my Go so much that I have one in CT and one in AZ. Can't be without it, and I don't feel at all guilty. Arthritis makes rotary cutting difficult, butIi think I would use one anyway, because it's so FAST and ACCURATE! I may even try applique, because it makes cutting out those intricate pieces with fusible attached so easy.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN View Post
OK all you strip cutters. Do you cut your strips lengthwise grain like it suggests or do you cut them crosswise. I haven't taken the plunge to use the strip cutter dies I bought because of the grain line issues.

Whatcha think folks?
It's up to you - you can cut them either way. Personally, I prefer lengthwise - less stretch. I even rip about 1/2" wider than I plan to cut (strip cutters cut 3 to 5 strips, depending on width of strips), then fold carefully and cut many strips in seconds. Up to 6 layers with no problems. Some people cut 8 layers, but I'm happy with 6!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
i have a friend who has a go cutter and the cover sheets are plastic and do not last very long and for a large quilt it takes forever to cut out the pieces, I have a studio cutter and LOVE it as I can cut out 70+ strips at once and can trun them across again and cut the squares any size from 1" to 6 1/2", all other dies can also be cut in 6 to 8 fabric thickness at one cutting making it quick to cut hundreds
I've had my GO for almost 2 years, and I have not ruined a single mat yet. Your friend must be using her mats incorrectly. The directions say to shift the position so you don't constantly cut in the same spot. Also, turn the mat over and cut on the other side.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
i have a friend who has a go cutter and the cover sheets are plastic and do not last very long and for a large quilt it takes forever to cut out the pieces, I have a studio cutter and LOVE it as I can cut out 70+ strips at once and can trun them across again and cut the squares any size from 1" to 6 1/2", all other dies can also be cut in 6 to 8 fabric thickness at one cutting making it quick to cut hundreds
I don't have the space for a studio, that's why I have the Go! and you just need to follow the directions on moving and shifting the cover to extend the life. For me, I have to disagree about the time it takes, this machine has greatly improved the time it takes for me to cut out the pieces and I am really happy I purchased it, I hated cutting. Glad you are enjoying the studio.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Has anyone tried the die for the log cabin? I would like to learn more about it before buying it. It is very costly....
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
Has anyone tried the die for the log cabin? I would like to learn more about it before buying it. It is very costly....

I have placed that die in my cart two or three times at the sewforless.com site, but I just can't justify the expense for that one block either. Now that my strips are always straight and true my last log cabin block had the least amount of trimming up of any log cabin block I had ever made.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Well, a few weeks ago I stated on here that the GO was a waste of my money, and I never used it. After reading everything positive on here, I decided to give it another try. Our Thimbleberries group is making a 4 patch quilt, and the squares are to be cut 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. When sewn together, we will trim them up. I need ten sets of ten four patches to exchange, plus about another 260 four patches for my quilt. Decided to order the 2 1/2 square die, (since of course, that was one I didn't have!) and use my GO. Just ordered it from "Sew for Less". That is the best price I found, even better than diecutyourfabric.com. $27.99 vs 26.89. Now I'm anxious for it to get here so I can dust off the GO and give it another go (pun intended!). I also ordered a 5" to make a bunch of charm squares. Will let you know how it goes when I get them and am done playing! Maybe all that money won't be a waste after all!!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM

Okay all, so help me figure out what I'm doing wrong with mine. My husband encouraged me to buy it when they first became available and I have hardly used it. I can't seem to get anything to work right when I use it. My strips all come out with the V in the middle, the ends aren't even cut apart, the fabric wrinkles when it goes through the roller so that the strips end up crooked. I've tried cutting one layer of fabric up to four layers of fabric and have yet to get a straight 2 1/2 inch strip out of it yet. I bought it because my strips are always wonky when I cut them thinking this would help and in truth, my strips are even worse with the Accuquilt. What helps can you suggest for me?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 AM

I had a problem with my 10" square mat with the large tumbler die. I called the company and asked if it should be expected to last for more than just one queen size quilt (which I hadn't even finished cutting). She said absolutely it should last longer and they sent me a new one free of charge. I told her I was labeling the mat 1, 2, 3,4 on one side and a, b, c, d on the other so I could keep track of the rotation. She said she thought that was a good idea and she was going to pass that on to other customers ... btw I did not buy the mat from them but they stood behind it anyway!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM

I was so disappointed that when I ordered new dies, that they didn't come with cutting boards! So when I went to used the long strip cutter, THEN I discovered that now I have to order the cutting board to use it. So I'll probably go ahead and cut them by hand so I can start while I'm waiting for the board to arrive. BUMMER! You'd have though that as expensive as it was (about $60) they could have included the board or said in the ordering that it wasn't included. So for anyone ordering new dies, make sure to get the matching cutting board.