Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM

It's funny what people think about hand quilting. We had a series of quilt lectures at the historical society, and they told us that when the sewing machine came out, machine quilting became all the rage and that if you hand quilted, you were considered poor or at least of out fashion, so women- maybe a whole community- would pool their resources to buy a sewing machine ( to share) so they could machine quilt their quilts. So, our heritage is hand AND machine quilting, and yet people still divide into camps and criticize those who do it differently. I think however you want to quit your quilt is just fine. Different styles give a quilt different looks, but if you're happy, that's all that matters!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Ignore that nonsense. "Quilt as you please" is often seen on patterns and in books, which means you do what makes you happy. Next time our responses should be... "who died and made you the quilt police?"
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM

I, personally, believe that when people say things like this, it is not about you it is ALL about them. I know it is difficult to get past the "barb" but this person is just plain mean, jealous and selfish. I love SID. I do it whenever I can. I love how it makes the piece pop. We are all quilters even if we decide to "tie" our quilts. I love tied quilts especially when I want them to be "puffy".
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM

Do what you want and remember you did a job and feel proud of the work accomplished. The person that said cop out, is lost and needs a life of her/his own. remember not quilt police, that includes friends (or they think they are) too.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Banned

Stitch In the Ditch is not a "cop out" There are many quilts that don't need decorative quilting as the fabric and design make the quilt not the quilting. The layers just need to be sewed together. Opinions are just that and not rules.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM

Why is that some people just love to rain on someones parade? This her problem not yours. I always start with SID because it helps stablize the quilt. Maybe she is jelious of the beautiful quilts you make.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM

I like this quote "using the fur shed by the family cat" we have come a long way baby with all the quilting tools we have today. SID is wonderful and practical.
Originally Posted by quiltingnewbie View Post
Did the person who made this comment also say she had to walk uphill (both ways) in the snow just to get to her LQS? Or that in her day, she had to create batting by hand using just the fur shed by the family's cat? I mean, really! Why should she (or anyone else) dictate what counts as real effort? I'm sorry you were made to feel bad. I say quilt the way you want to and enjoy your work.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM

Who said it was a "cop-out"? It is hard to sitd and not everyone can do fmq or send quilts out t be longarmed quilted. Making a quilt is a gift of love and we all should be able to do as we want. The quilts that I make are meant to be used, not stored away to be passed down to the next generation.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 AM

However you get it finished, will be great. Stitching in the ditch takes a good deal of practice.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM

I think that's terrible. They probably don't know anything about quilting. I love stitch in the ditch and do it all the time. She is no friend. Just ignore it and do what you want to. I'm sure your work is beautiful,