Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM

i agree with you i have done both and must say i 'd rather do my own work------so far(?????)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
When I first got my mid arm I did a pantograph quilt and was thrilled. I took it to Quilt Guild and my good friend said the quilting looked like a mattress pad. Crushed.
Friends don't say hurtful things. They look for something nice to say. Quilt in whatever way that makes you happy.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell
at least you quilt-I can't seem to make it work for me. I have several tops done and several more in the making but to actually QUILT them-can't do it. I mess it up all the time. I have tried SID and it works great on small samples but to do it on a large quilt-forgetaboutit!!!
You are braver than I-keep up the good work and kick the quilt police to the curb!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Haven't read all posts but - I think it's extremely hard to stitch in the ditch. I'm much better at wavy lines down the center of something.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Remember one thing. THERE ARE NO QUILT POLICE, just people who think they know better than you how to "quilt" your creations. I've been quilting for 25+ years, I made one hand quilted quilt, but because of severe carpal tunnel syndrome from too many years to count of being a secretary, I had to quit, unless I quilted 5 minutes at a time. That was not acceptable to me, so I took a class in machine quilting and learned that almost everyone in the class did it differently. I mainly do SID as I haven't gotten the courage to step outside the box and do meandering or any other similar type quilting. One quilt I made for a church raffle brought in over $2,000, and I quilted it using SID. I've been told that I make beautiful quilts. I also make quilts that will be used, especially my baby quilts and lap quilts. I consider the family reunion quilts I make to hopefully be considered heirlooms, but I want my quilts to be used. You are absolutely a quilter and don't let anyone tell you that you aren't.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM

I'm doing some SITD work right now to anchor a quilt as I prepare to quilt it. Let me just say that I'm glad I'm SITD with wash-away thread as it is HARD for me to do an accurate SITD. Part of it is I'm working on a new machine. But it is painstaking work to do it right.

SITD may not be the most creative design - but some quilts don't need or scream for elaborate quilting. It is certainly a respectable way to quilt. And if you are happy with it, then that is what matters most.

Cheers, K
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM

Evidently they never tried to SID. I do FMQ and SID and for me SID is harder. Those little ditches can be b***** to keep in line. Do what you enjoy and forget the uninformed!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 AM

After reading all of the comments on the QB for sev. yrs. now, my thought is that we tend to take our quilting way too seriously. We all have different levels of abilities, experience, & avail. time.

Very few of us are at a "professional" level & we need to just sit back, stitch away, & enjoy what we do. Unless our quilt is in a show in front of a judge, others should just enjoy ea. other's work. I've learned that I don't have to be perfect. Just happy with my quilt.

Those who are quick to criticize should learn to choose their words better.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Some quilts were just MADE to stitch in the ditch. That gives them a perfect look. No cop out there. A quilt should be quilted in a way that enhances the top. Nothing works for every quilt.

Tell whoever said that to you to ...............(insert rude message here).

I totally believe this - I can't even picture doing a log cabin with a meandering quilting. Do what you love, and poo poo the nay sayers!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Oh no way, you stitch it however you want to stitch it.. poo poo on them... can they quilt ? NOT! a cop out is buying a quilt and telling people you did it yourself like my friend did... I called her out on it.............. I never did stitch in the ditch.. I am afraid toooooooooo....