Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Please continue with your beautiful quilt by all means. In her books Mary Ellen Hopkins talks about "PPM" your personal private measurement. She goes on to say that as long as you use the same machine, and continue to keep the same seam allowance in all your blocks your quilt will be fine. It's all about being consistent. After you finish this beautiful quilt if you want to go ahead and figure out a "perfect 1/4 inch seam" then do so, otherwise continue as you are doing. From my perspective you're doing a fantastic quilt - you go girl.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM

It's just horrible...finish up those few blocks so it isn't wonky and send me that hideous piece of fabric so it's out of your house and you'll never have to see it again (rubbing my hands with glee at my under-handedness)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think you have done a wonderful job. The 1/4 inch seam allowance is important if you are doing different blocks/sashing so they all fit together. If you have started with another seam allowance, then finish with the same allowance. "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream" It is more important to have a consistent seam allowance than the 1/4 inch. From what I can see on your design wall, it is coming together beautifully!
You know everyone's quarter inch is a little different. That is a beautiful quilt you are working on and your quarter inch has been consistent other wise it would not fit together and lie flat. Grow and learn from this experience then read the thread on good, better and best. Your good is better than a lot and so you only grow by learning and doing.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Continue.

The thing about an accurate seam allowance is that above all it needs to be consistent.

You've picked an incredibly challenging quilt for your first quilt and you've accomplished quite a lot on it.

Look at the quilt as a teacher. You will make mistakes and learn on every piece you pick up. In this case, you are also getting to learn about making adjustments in order to accommodate the larger than planned seam allowance in order to preserve your points.

Also - you will almost always be your own worst critic. I think your quilt looks great.

Cheers, K
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM

Way too beautiful to abandon and no one but you will know its smaller. Just lovely work.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Consistency is what counts! The books by Harriet Hargrave are a valuable aid - Even tho I have pieced for a long time I have learned a lot from her books! (Quilter's Academy series)
I love this series.

I also appreciate the concept of YUM - Your unique measurement - which recognizes that as we work, we don't always have the perfect 1/4 inch seam.

Cheers, K
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM

I think you are ok to finish it. All of your seams are the same size, and your quilt will just be a little smaller than the pattern called for. Everything fits together just fine. Be sure to use the same foot to finish it. It is going to be gorgeous
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM

If your seams are consistent throughout then I would just continue. Too much work has gone into this beautiful quilt to shove it in a box in a closet. use it as a learning experience and then go buy new fabric and make another beautiful quilt
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM

I would continue. It doesn't matter as long as all of your seams are the same.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 PM

That is pretty if you keep doing it like you strted it it should come out fine. along time ago the teacher I had told us to be contistant in what we are doing and it should be fine. with time it will all come together for you. use the 1/4 inch you know is better in your next quilt. I wouldn't change a thing on this one as well as it looking. good luck and enjoy