Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >
  • I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

• I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 AM

Jeez.... it took me hours and hours and HOURS of practice to learn to stitch-in-the-ditch well.... yeah, it's a cop-out. NOT!!!! Seriously, where do these people come from?!! Just laugh (discreetly, of course) and carry on quilting. Some people's mommas don't teach them manners.
    Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Ask whoever said this to you if they're going to pay the bill for the quilt from the long-arm quilter. They're not cheap.
    Old 04-16-2013, 10:22 AM

I was told handquilted quilts are the only real quilts...ha ha ha....and from someone who doesn`t quilt.....I say to each his own...i`ve handquilted.....stitched in the ditch and sent some out.....each and everyone of them is special to me!! so keep on keepin on!!! chin up and keep on quilting...it`s all good!!!
    Old 04-16-2013, 10:33 AM

No quilt police here. SID is a great quilting technique and we all use it. Whoever told you that has their head up their hind end and has probably never quilted a thing. Keep your chin up
    Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM

What a ridiculous thing for someone to say! Sorry for sounding harsh but my goodness! Good SITD is very difficult to do and in no way a copout. I personally don't even do it because I can't stay in the ditch well enough.
    Please take great pride in your work and don't let the opinions of others rob you of that. Whatever part of the quiltmaking process one is able to do, or chooses to do, they deserve to take pride and pleasure in their work and creative efforts. How small the heart of another who would take that away.
    Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Smile stitch in ditch a copout????

Originally Posted by laurlync
    Well, whoever said this to you has obviously never tried keeping it in the ditch. As long as you are happy with what you are doing, just ignore the negative comments. Everyone should quilt the way they want, like and can afford, whether it is SID, FMQ or quilt by check. Just enjoy your craft and the wonderful smiles of those who get to use your quilts.
    I think SID is the hardest of all quilting techniques. I have a really hard time staying in the ditch. I kinda feel that if there is any copout it's free motion. Never mind the mistakes...no lines to follow...oops...that's okay make it into a flower....I love free motion quilting!!! But to get serious... I agree that you should ignore those negative comments and shoot for your best. I stopped looking at all those complex quilts because they tended to discourage me. I'll know when I get to the point where I need to learn another technique. There's a great satisfaction in doing the quilt from choosing the fabric to sewing the binding. Keep on keeping on!!
    Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM

If you HAVE to reply to such a comment, remind her that sewing machines were invented in the 1800's and women were THRILLED to have a quicker way to quilt. She just had to say something insulting.
    Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
    So, the laziness, the "cop out" of doing your own quilting, but the "send out to long arm" is not.

bruised about this.. each stitch counts.. sat and took it on the chin.. so to speak.

..will continue to stitch my own creations, using the most cost effective way possible to enjoy my quilting.

Yes, I consider myself a quilter.

Ell
    I hate to say anything but I have been stitching in the ditch for years and won more then a few first place ribbons at quilt fairs doing just that: Now these were hand quilted but that was my preference at the time. there is absolutely nothing wrong with quilting in the ditch. I have a wall hanging I am working on right now and I plan to go around the penquin to make him stand out. I get the biggest kick out of all the quilt police out there. just like what fabrics you can quilt with. I prefer cotton but our ancestors were the ones that started the whole quilting tradtion and they used anything they could cut into pieces. Step out of the box and be yourself" you will enjoy your life a lot more" I guarantee it.
    Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM

To heck with them. I send mine out to be quilted. It doesn't have to cost $300 bucks if you pick an all over quilt design that is computerized. I just had a full size quilt done with a rose pattern and they sewed the binding on for $122.00 and I'm in Connecticut where everything is overpriced. As a friend of mine says about herself "I'm a piecer not a quilter" and she's proud of it. I'm not going to sit at a regular size sewing machine and try and FMQ an entire quilt, not going to happen.
    Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM

My guess who ever said that is not a quilter. Different kinds of quilting are what makes quilting a craft. If there was only 1 way, quilting would not be nearly as fun nor interesting. To each their own and for her, maybe SID isn't for her.

Does she only have 1 cooking method?