Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM

To each their own... just like most things in life. Best to avoid those people or just let it go in one ear and out the other!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM

I find stitching in the ditch to be difficult. A slight loss of concentration and the stitch is out of its track or crooked. Some quilts are just made for SITD.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM

SITD can look just fine if you can do it right (I tend to twitch!). So does quilting on a DSM.

It's not a copout to use a computer program to stitch it up for you? Hellooooo? Craftsmanship is sure relative, isn't it?

Maybe we should all take a vacation from our jobs to go out and grind shells and gather berries to hand dye our hand woven cotton we spun and wove last week while changing diapers and cooking dinner?

Tell that girl where to get off, pronto!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:37 PM

NOT a cop out at all. I use it to go around my designs on the front so it shows on the back. like the birdhouses on front will be a outline on the back of the quilt.as for who said that, I think they are trying to play Quilt Police and being the "cop out." I love it when someone does their own work. It is great for those who can get a LA but to me that is being more lazy about it than doing SID by hand or domestic machine. It is a lot of work and takes more time for most of us. I understand that not everyone likes to do it so the LA is fine , to each its own. I also know someone that sticks their nose down on the rest of the families work cause she just does the top and sends it to a professional LAer and wins a lot of awards in shows. I figure if she is having a professional do them for her they should be good. But the rest of the family does their own work and pretty things too and shouldn't get that attitude cause they do.I guess we all have some of those quilt police people around. as for me I don't show my stuff to her at all or the rest of the family cause they are in such competiction about with each other they think each of them does the only good work and no one else can. I should correct that it is my DH's family. I just stay out of all that.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM

I can't afford to send out; so that leaves me doing my own. I don't consider it a "cop out". Whomever said that to you was NOT being very considerate! Straight line quilting with a walking foot can be fun to do. I let the pattern dictate where I go with it and am usually pleased with the result.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Some quilts just beg to be SID. Others look great with cross hatching or some other simple design. Some are meant to be tied. And some become glorious works of art with exquisite detailed quilting. Each quilt deserves its own special treatment for the design and purpose for which it was created. No single way is best for every quilt.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Some quilts just beg to be SID. Others look great with cross hatching or some other simple design. Some are meant to be tied. And some become glorious works of art with exquisite detailed quilting. Each quilt deserves its own special treatment for the design and purpose for which it was created. No single way is best for every quilt.
My feelings exactly! It is just one of many methods we can use to finish our quilts.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I have read each post, all 138 of them...not just encouragement, talk of quilt police, but stories of hurtful experiences. This post set a fire storm. Thank you all! No, just as several say..I can't imagin a log cabin with a intense quilt design. Some quilts, strip quilts ect "beg" to be SID. Thank you all for the room to continue my own choice of quilting.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM

I don't think either on is a cop out. If it is, I guess I will continue to cop out because I can't afford to send my quilts out. That was a very insensitive remark if you want my opinion.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Hi,

Just read all these posts.....and have to share that I just purchased a new STITCH IN THE DITCH FOOT for my Babylock Symphony, made for Babylock machines. I love it!!! Just finished a quilt SID and it came out wonderful. The quilt had pictures from a panel in it and FMQ would have distorted the pictures, it begged for SID.
This afternoon I dropped off another quilt to be quilted by a long arm.....I just wanted it to have a design, nothing I can do.
I FMQ smaller items and sometimes I quilt with my embroidery machine and sometimes I SID, depends on the quilt.
The new foot is super!!