Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ? >

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

I have been told stitch in ditch is " a cop out." What about sending your top out ?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I am amazed the need for more posting on this subject. And yes, there is a need.. Each post has something to add, teach me and comfort my bruises, along with their own stories of similiar experience. Thank you all for showing me that I / We are not alone in the.. ( rude, judgmental, inexcuseable, intolerant... ) more words but did not right them down as used by those posting.....way fellow quilters feel above their own fellow quilters. We are all in differant levels of experience .. but in this together .. learning new techniques, enjoying what we know and moving along happy with our creations. Thank you all for your support, your stories and your encouragement.

Ell
Old 04-17-2013, 01:36 PM

SID is not a copout. Some quilts can be the simple a design and it is not as easy as it sounds.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM

That lady sounds exactly like my MIL, God rest her soul. I felt sorry for her because she was such an unhappy person.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Great response!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM

If it happens again, just tell HER that you have the right to use any techniques you want and like. Then walk away!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM

I don't see why it is not considered a viable option. After all, many people use it and it looks wonderful on some quilts. Whatever is the problem with it?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM

Well, when I finish hoeing the garden, get all my produce canned, kill a few hogs and beef and get that into the freezer, then I think that I'll spin some cotton, weave it into some material, cut it up and piece it back together by hand, and then quilt it by hand. Then I can be considered to be a cook AND an quilter. LOL! And oh yeah - I better make my own clothes too, so I can be considered as being dressed. Too bad I have a job - I don't know how in the world I'll get to it because I can't EVER be considered to be a driver since I didn't make my car! Really - the lack of logic some people use is stupifying!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM

as far as i'm concerned, any quilt that is "done" is perfect. stitch in the ditch, sending it out to be long armed, or painstakingly doing it by hand--they are all means to an end--a quilt that can be used, loved, admired. any critics can just go home and do their own project, and see if they can do as well. and confiscate their quilt police badge, while you're at it. i'm sure it's a fake.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Wow - those comments offended me on so many levels. I'm so sorry you were subjected to that. My immediate response to that person would have been along the lines "My quilts are gifts of love and I put a great deal of my time, money and thought into each one. Thank you for telling me how you feel about my quilts...I won't insult you by giving you one." What an incredibly rude and insensitive person! I'm angry with him/her on your behalf and on ALL our behalf!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM

Wow! By the time I saw this thread there were 17 pages of comments. You have peaked everyone's interest! I can only say -- sounds like a quilt snob. I do more stitch in the ditch than any other type of quilting. It's not that easy! Try to consider the source and do your own thing.