Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s >

Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s

Help! Bobbin issues on new Brother Pq1500s

Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM

I have this same machine, only had it for 6 months or so. It sews perfectly until I try to fmq and like you it goes nuts. One thing I found is that inside the bobbin compartment is a little hook with a thread cutter in it. You put your bobbin in and then pull the thread around this and it cuts the thread off. This was new to me because any machine I ever had you would use the hand wheel and then pull the bobbin thread to the top of the machine. You must use this little contraption and not try to by pass it or your machine will not sew correctly and create awful birds nests on the back and even pull the fabric down into the machine. Also when doing fmq reduce the pressure on the foot by using the round knob on top of the machine to back it off a little. Your owners manual will explain more about that, but that did help me a lot. Also one other thing, Make sure when you thread the machine, the thread goes thru the needle left to right. The owners manual for this machine in my opinion is not very clear and right after I got it I found out I was threading it inorrectly. You are very correct in that the machine speed and how you coordinate your hands when doing fmq is very important. On that one you will need to practice and get the feel. I have 5 other machine and have been sewing for over 40 years and this machine is definitely different. Just practice and try all the suggestions here posted by others. Most of the other comments I can relate to and have tried myself. Stick with it, get some scrap fabric and practice it will get better. Good luck
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM

Thank you so much. Think I have finally figured it out. I was almost going to take a hammer to this beautiful machine!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM

I'm having the same problem you had with the upper thread. It seems to get caught (producing your "third" thread) under the needle plate in the machine part that holds the bobbin case. I can avoid difficulty if I use the automatic thread cutter. Unfortunately, if, with the needle in the up position, I try to pull my material away to manually cut the threads, I often meet resistance and I appear to be pulling out 4 threads, not just two. This occurs especially when I use the reverse stitch lever, but at other times, too. Is you problem still solved or do you still have reoccurring difficulties with this problem?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 AM

When I bought my Janome 6600, the tension dial wouldn't stay put. It kept loosening. I even taped it with masking tape to keep it in place. I took it in to be repaired and they fixed it. It still moves if I accidentally bump it with my thumbnail, but it will hold it's tension now. I would take it back to the dealer and have their technician fix it.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:40 AM

Solved my thread problem of a few days ago: another case of user-error. I took off the needle plate to watch the bobbin case holder below and saw that the thread was catching on its "pointy part." All I needed to do was turn the hand wheel a little more to get beyond this section so there would be no snagging.