Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My DD wants a christening dress .....OMG....is she crazy? >
  • My DD wants a christening dress .....OMG....is she crazy?

• My DD wants a christening dress .....OMG....is she crazy?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 AM

How about going shopping with your daughter for a vintage baptismal dress? You could add some beads and bows to dress it up the way she wants.
    Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 AM

I too made my wedding dress then I used the skirt of it to make my daughter christening gown.
    Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 AM

I feel your pain! I, too, would be intimidated by this request and I have made Jeep "rag" tops and boat covers. I am about to have a new granddaughter this summer, first one. Hope this kind of request doesn't come my way. I do like the idea of repurposing thrift store finds however.
    Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM

I'm an heirloom sewer and a beginning quilter so christening gowns are close to my heart. You can use heirloom techniques and not have a tremendous amount of money tied up in the gown. Of course you can also go way over the top and have lots tied up in lace alone. Think about tucks (traditionally in 3's) or puffing which I think is lovely. Spechler-Vogel makes Imperial Batiste which is a cotton/poly blend, very nice to work with and pleats well for smocking if you're interested in that. Don't let smocking scare you, it's really quite easy especially if you're doing a geometric design. If smocking, you might also think about incorporating pearls into the design which has a very elegant look to it. A simple bishop dress can be a christening gown simply by adding length to the bottom with lace, swiss insertions (like an embroidered eyelet strip), puffing or tucks.
    Don't be afraid...if you can quilt, you can make the gown. Have fun and best of luck.
    Marthapullen.com is a good resource
    Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM

I did make a christening dress for one of my grandchildren and have enjoyed embroidering her name plus two more who were also baptized in the same dress. I guess that's how heirlooms begin. Must admit, it gives me a good feeling. That said, however, I do think people sometimes expect more than we can (or want to) deliver. Just say no. Be sweet and be nice, but be definite. Don't invest time and tear your hair out to do something you really, really don't want to do.
    Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Remind yourself and daughter that a baptism is a promise to God to raise your child in a Christian life/way. The outfit is secondary... Why not buy a premade dress and add embellishments? Life is too short to stress over this stuff. Btw, I make good money and my boys were both baptized in khakis and a dress shirt (nice handmedowns).
    Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM

By all means go for it! I can't tell alot of the details from your picture but it looks beautiful. I made baptism gowns for 3 of my 4 DDs(eldest wore mine) the first one I made I used eyelet with a scalloped edge, I added ruffles, lots of eyelet and a full slip. I learned to smock after DD2 was born so the youngest 2 got smocked bishops, complete with pearls and lots of lace. Never regretted the time it took. Now i'm smocking an outfit for newest grandchild to wear for baptism. I feel honored to be asked
    Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

I would do a test run with cheap fabric...That way you will get a feel or the pattern....Good Luck...
    Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM

My husband's great grandmother had a Christening gown made for her in the 1800's by her grandmother. They were Presbyterians, so the babies were Christened. My husband's great grandmother, grandmother, both his Dad and uncle were Christened in the gown. All four of my husband's siblings and he, along with his 3 cousins were Christened in the gown. His four nieces and nephews, along with their eight cousins were Christened in the same gown. Our daughter, Rachel, wore the gown when my husband I were dedicated in the Church to raise her as a Christian in the Baptist Church where we attended and were members.
    This doesn't have to be a one-time event gown. It could be treasured for generations!

Originally Posted by solstice3
    Enjoy the journey. The dress will be a treasured heirloom
    Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM

I would just say..."Nope...I can't make anything like that." Especially if was a demand and not even a request.