Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are machine quilted quilts really second class? >

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Are machine quilted quilts really second class?

Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I really do appreciate hand quilted quilts, and I always have a hand quilting project on the go, but most of my quilt projects are pieced and quilted by machine. At least, this way, I complete things. OK, they are not heirloom quilts, but I think that my had pieced and quilted ones are.
Hmmm........... This is what struck me most about about your comments about others 'elitist attitude', is that you yourself appear to hold some of these views.

You justify yourself when you say, "I always have a hand quilting project on the go" almost as if this is some sort of mollification. When you say "at least I complete things" when referring to machine work and, "OK, they are not heirloom quilts". Why on earth not??

I've never sewn by hand, never intend to and if someone intimated that anything I made was not 'heirloom' my DD would have something resounding to say.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 AM

This is what I say to those who snubbishly say something derogatory about machine piecing and/or quilting (sometimes I have to say it to embroiderers too!). I don't churn my butter nor do I ride a horse buggy, and pretty sure neither do you!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:01 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 AM

I am renting a room from a friend who saw me hand quilting a quilt and she said. Oh that's nice a REAL quilt. In my way of thinking it is just a different way and the ONLY reason I am handquilting is because all my stuff is in storage and I would lose my mind completely if I didn't have something to work on.
And as far as being second class. Umm not! How many of Their hand peiced hand quilted quilts have been in shows and won first place and sold for Thousands of dollars. I can't find exact money but I remember Ricky Tims quilt got enough from the museum to at least put down money on 2 Harleys.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 AM

OH and have they actually seen Sharon Schambers work?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 AM

I was at a quilt show yesterday. I saw hand quilted and machine quilting. I am a hand quilter. I love beautifully done machine quilting. I believe it must take more energy, patience and talent than hand quilting. I do need to learn to machine quilt. How else will I ever complete my bucket list?? Second class? Nope. All good.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:25 AM

NO!!! As a hand quilter and hand appliqué-r, I am saddened to read your post, quilter1. Art is art, and there are countless mediums with which to express oneself. The negative attitude of a few are giving the rest of the hand quilters of the world a bad rap! Each technique has its wonders and challenges. It surprises me to hear of quilters being so negative.... I have said before on a different thread that the quilters I have met are some of the nicest people on the planet. This small group is the exception as opposed to the rule! Please ignore them!!!!! I have seen absolutely gorgeous machine quilting that I could never, ever do with a thimble and needle... I do not understand how or why anyone would say such things. Sounds like you did the right thing moving on from that guild. The whole purpose of quilt guilds is to learn from and encourage each other. I hope you can find another group that helps rather than hurts you.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by sharisews View Post
I belong to a great guild. There are many levels of experience. We have beginners, intermediates, hand quilters, and even a few professionals. All are welcome EXECPT quilt police. The mission of our guild is to encourage and promote the love of quilting and friendship.
THIS is what quilt guilds are all about!!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Hmmm........... This is what struck me most about about your comments about others 'elitist attitude', is that you yourself appear to hold some of these views.

You justify yourself when you say, "I always have a hand quilting project on the go" almost as if this is some sort of mollification. When you say "at least I complete things" when referring to machine work and, "OK, they are not heirloom quilts". Why on earth not??

I've never sewn by hand, never intend to and if someone intimated that anything I made was not 'heirloom' my DD would have something resounding to say.

And why WOULDN'T a machine quilted masterpiece by an heirloom!?!?!? My bet is that your beautiful quilts will be treasured by generations!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Sewing machines were created for a reason. Hopefully they hand piece as well. I would love to hand piece and quilt everything but the reality is....I HAVE a life so I take advantage of the machines!