Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let me cut that up!!! >

Let me cut that up!!!

Let me cut that up!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Since I've been recycling and cutting up men's shirts ( thank you Bonnie Hunter) I find myself at work looking at all the colorful scrubs that we nurses wear and thinking "wish I could cut that up for quilts"!!! Lol I even said that to a friend the other day! Especially the fabrics I could use for I Spy quilts. It's driving me crazy lol ! Anybody else have this problem??
I need some more I SPY fabric, never thought of the scrubs.

And I don't need Bonnie Hunter or anyone else to tell me how to recycle.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 AM

I think using scrubs is a great idea. I have a few that are going to be cut up if DD doesn't claim them for work. Just a note: Not all scrubs are 100% cotton, in fact the ones I have run across have been mixed with poly. I have no problem using it, but I know some quilters are 100% cotton all the way.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 AM

last year the local church had a garage sale, $2/bag for shirts. I stuffed every man's cotton shirt in them, and came home with 3 bags ($6) Haven't cut them up yet. But I knew that's what I wanted to do with them. I also save flannel shirts. I have a collection from husband, daughter, and father. Can't wait to start that one. It's amazing how our mind focus's on things when we're about.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM

I have posted before but somebody mentioned other places. Last Wednesday was Margaret Thatchers funeral . In st Paul's he coffin was placed under the dome. From above there was a beauiful round floor in sections with what looked like diamonds, I think they are squares . I was working out as you can tell how to make this circular quilt.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM

We were sitting in church when my hubby leaned over and whispered, "You see that lady across the isle and 3 pews up, sitting on the end?" I whispered "Yes". He said, "Wouldn't her dress make pretty quilt blocks."
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jean45 View Post
We were sitting in church when my hubby leaned over and whispered, "You see that lady across the isle and 3 pews up, sitting on the end?" I whispered "Yes". He said, "Wouldn't her dress make pretty quilt blocks."
Oh my, your hubby is a keeper!!! Awesome!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM

I thought about cutting up my scrubs after I quit my last job, but I am thinking that since they are still new, I am going to try to sell them at a yard sale.

I may still go to the thrift store later for fabric.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Dix

Have you ever been in a big building with beautiful tile floors! I tell dh what a great pattern for a quilt that would be. He just shakes his head and walks on like he does not know me!! LOL
Old 04-21-2013, 10:12 AM

I bought a rag bag of scrubs at a garage sale last year. Most were worn and stained but the good parts cut beautifully into pieces for a scrap quilt. Glad I didn't get that project done, an I-Spy quilt sounds like so much more fun. Thanks for the inspiration ... now the improvement in health to finish another project so I can begin this one.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM

It's so funny. I bought a whole box of scrubs at a yard sale for $5.00. Most of them did not fit me or hubby and my thought was to save them to make a quilt. This was before I ever made any quilt. Your post reminds me I still could make something of them, and free that dresser drawer they are stored in!

btw, I love wearing the ones that do fit, and always get asked if I'm a nurse or Dr. while wearing them out somewhere. One top is really cute with a tie around the waist and is so flattering.