Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using flannel as backing/batting??? >

Using flannel as backing/batting???

Using flannel as backing/batting???

Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM

I just did my 1st quilt using flannel for the back. I used batting in the middle & I haven't had any problems. I did wash & dry the flannel twice before using.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM

I've made several quilts using flannel for the backing. I usually use Warm and Natural low loft cotton batting in all of my quilts and it works very well with the flannel backing as well as regular cotton backing. Quilts backed with flannel are very soft and cuddly.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 PM

I have two queen size quilt that I only used flannel sheets on the back. Both quilted professionally with beautiful results.
DH says quilts w/batting too heavy for him. Down side is the quilting does not pop...not enough thickness to show deminsioin. Just love how it turned out. HOWEVER buy fllannel SHEETS and wash once to get rid of any shrinkages and threads. I use king sheets for queen quilt.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
So there have been some threads about using flannel as a backing for quilts. My question is this - does the flannel take the place of both the backing AND the batting?

I need to make some light weight quilts for summer but in New England it gets chilly and I thought the flannel (sheets is what I am thinking?) would do nicely.

If it is used for both, does it quilt decently? I have a mid arm.
Are you saying use ONE price as backing and a SECOND piece as batting? Or ONE piece to serve two functions as batting and backing?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:10 PM

I have made a few quilts with flannel for backing and or batting. I just finished one about a week ago that was flannel on the back and just a regular fabric "sheet" in the middle to give it a bit more weight and warmth. It is for a baby born at the end of July. make a sample and see what you like better.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM

I use flannel as batting a lot - but not the cheap flimsy stuff. I use the flannel that is a little heavier in weight that comes in wider width. I've never had any issues using the flannel. I never wash ANY fabrics before using (shame on me), so the flannel as well as the front and back shrink a bit when washed (about 5%)...I like the "quilt" look it gives with the shrinkage.

Most of the quilts I make are charity quilts or kids' knockabout quilts. The flannel is serviceable but not that big a budget eater. For nicer quilts I use batting...I do use Warm and Natural, but I honestly also like the batting that is part poly part cotton. Depends on the quilt.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Many people here must be using flannel for backing - I see our LQS now carries it in 110" width. Will have to try it one of these days.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
So there have been some threads about using flannel as a backing for quilts. My question is this - does the flannel take the place of both the backing AND the batting?

I need to make some light weight quilts for summer but in New England it gets chilly and I thought the flannel (sheets is what I am thinking?) would do nicely.

If it is used for both, does it quilt decently? I have a mid arm.
your choice-----------sounds like you need only the flannel backing for your light weight quilts
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 AM

I almost always back my quilts with flannel. Like ckcowl said, I haven't had any problems with it pilling, but I use good-quality flannel. I also never prewash and haven't ever had a problem. As for using it in place of batting, I can't speak to that. I'm in Colorado, and we can have a cool day any day of the year, LOL, so I always use my Warm and Natural cotton batting.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 AM

I made my oldest boy a queen size flannel quilt. All 3 layers were flannel. I washed/dryed twice to make it shrink as much as possible. He could not get over how soft it was.

I made my DH a T-shirt quilt and used warm and natural for batting and flannel for the backing. It's a really warm quilt.

If you are wanting a light weight quilt then you are probably just quilting to hold the layers together rather than show casing your quilting. I'm not a good enough quilter to showcase my quilting. I strive toward holding the layers together and securing the seams in the pieced top. Especially if I know the quilt will be washed several times.