Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad >

How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad

How quilts were used in the Underground Railroad

Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM

I think these stories are some truth and some myth. We were not there, and many stories are handed down through family history. As things go from mouth to mouth there may be a little added here and there, so who truly knows. But I do feel the slaves had a life line that only they knew and experienced.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Suz

We lived in DC before moving to PA. In our neighborhood in Shepherd Park, Washington, DC, there was a building covenant for Shepherd Park. All of the houses had to brick or stone w/slate roofs. There was one house, a large white clapboard house w/slate roof that was the residence of the first Mayor (Walter "Boss" Washington, and incidentally a Negro) of DC in our neighborhood. There was a tale, that in the basement of this residence, there was a tunnel running all the way from the Potomac River. True, I don't know, but interesting.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM

I found this interesting as well. I have watched of the tutorials by Eleanor Burns on this subject. She demonstaits how to make the blocks and also gives a history for each block and tells how each message was protrayed in each quilt. It was very informative. Here is the link to her site and the underground railroad tutorials.

http://vimeo.com/30000326

This connects to part one, if you scroll down, you will see it listed videos, channel, group and album. I usually select the video one and I can watch all her videos from start to finish. Very interesting. Have fun and enjoy
Old 04-26-2013, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
If slaves from lots of plantations knew of a code, do you really think slave owners wouldn't?
Definitely, the owners would not know. People in confinement often make up codes, and "owners", "guards" and such have no idea.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Just a few more links from historians of Black History, the Underground Railroad and the 1990's-born myth of quilt signals:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quilts_...round_Railroad
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/Th...ng_Slaves.html
and
http://www.quilthistory.com/ugrrquilts.htm

All of the above links have extensive bibliographies.

As a historian myself, I think that the following quote from Quilt History says it best: "We have to conclude that there was no special role quilts played in the Underground Railroad. While no one can prove a negative, it seems unlikely that quilts were used as a directional code. Worse, this type of popular myth belies the hard work and dangers faced by the true heroes of the Underground Railroad. When myths are not dispelled and the general public is allowed to believe anything, it hurts the truth of the culture and propagates false truths. History would be far better served if actual research was done on this topic so that we might honor the people who truly deserved it such as Harriet Tubman and Levi Coffin, rather than just endlessly repeating discredited myths and gossip. "
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Even if quilts being used in the Underground Railroad is a myth, it is a wonderful story. I think there are myths that are taught in our schools, and so it happens on the quilt board and we can believe what we want.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
Do not take away the courage and tenacity of the black people who endured proven mistreatment and suffering. Edie
How does dispelling a myth take away the courage and tenacity of slaves who were trying to escape? That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Originally Posted by Maggiem View Post
When myths are not dispelled and the general public is allowed to believe anything, it hurts the truth of the culture and propagates false truths. History would be far better served if actual research was done on this topic so that we might honor the people who truly deserved it such as Harriet Tubman and Levi Coffin, rather than just endlessly repeating discredited myths and gossip. "
Thank you, Maggiem, I think this says it best.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Edie View Post
You all can say what you want. I believe there was an UGRR and I believe in the quilts as being markers. No one is going to change my mind. Just because it cannot be totally 100% proven does not mean that it didn't happen or the UGRR wasn't there! Oh, ye of little faith.

We've never seen God have we? But we know He is there! Who can prove that it is a myth anymore than people can prove that it is true.
Whoa, Edie, calm down. Not one poster here has denied the existance of the URR. It is accepted fact that the URR existed. There is insurmountable proof of it's existance.

However, it is a disservice to all involved future generations and past to perpetuate a legend or unprovable folklore, no matter how cool, as fact. You are right, we can all believe what we want to but when someone kindly debates it and presents their side of the story as well as source citations as many here have, do not go on an attack. Maybe read the research that other's have linked. If you can't be swayed, fine but don't attack, present sound, rational arguments for your side of the argument, including source citations as to WHY you feel it is an unshakable truth. It is called debate and it is quite healthy.

As for religious belief, it is quite possible to believe in God with all your heart but not believe in the story of Adam and Eve. Just sayin. Kinda the same thing here.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
A lot of the research and documentation came from oral histories. Really, would you document what the symbols are and what they stand for? If it fell into the wrong hands it would all be over. Fact or fiction?? I don't know but then our history books don't promote the fact that many African-Americans were confederate soldiers either. As I do genealogy research I find that all too many things are not written down or preserved
I concur and, despite what the "pro's" say, I believe. The African-Americans were kept illiterate. How could they write down directions so, like the Indians, they relied on symbols. Makes perfect sense to me. Plus, have you ever been outside when the moon is full? You'd be amazed at what you can see if you're looking for it. And since anyone helping them would be hung I can fully understand why they didn't write anything down either!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM

Myth or true, I made an UR quilt with Eleanor Burns book. To me it is a reminder of how people have struggled throughout just for basic human rights.