Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group? >

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Fabriholics Anonymous (FA) Recovery Group?

Old 04-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

I have been a Charter member of Fabriholics Anonymous for years and years, and I don't think I'll ever resign, it's just too darn much fun. However, due to my very limited funds on SS and issues with walking I don't get out as much as I could. There is a JoAnn's about 4-5 miles from here, but I only go when there is a sale or I absolutely have to have supplies for making bags - like fusible batting, or patterns when they go on sale. My husband once told me that I'd buy an elephant if it was on sale, and I did (but it was stuffed). LOL. Just know that you are in good company with many very wonderful quilters.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM

Totally agree...see fabric in LQS or on the Internet and I get CRAZY. There are more troublesome addictions so...be thankful and enjoy this wonderful thing we love. Love the idea of sending and receiving fat quarters on your birthday. That is like - lots of birthday presents.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM

My name is Carol and I am a fabricaholic too.
Carol in Delaware
Old 04-27-2013, 04:52 PM

You could also join a Stash Report. Judy has a weekly stash report, where you track how much fabric you bought, how much you used, and your net usage/purchases for the year. Each week you write a quick blog note about it. The goal is reduce the stash every week.

http://www.patchworktimes.com/2013/0...-week-16-2013/
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Hello, my name is Deedum and I am a fabricaholic! I have stopped going to the fabric store lately. Promising to use up my scraps,I have tried to be very faithful in this, so now my friend gave me fabric last week as a thank you for helping. So I had to take it. It would of been rude of me not too. Now another friend has picked me up some fabric from her neighbors garage sale for me. What's a person gonna do? Guess I will put some under my bed.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Well, you're off to a good start with unsubscribing to the sites that send you email. The other thing that helps me is to spend my time sewing rather than shopping. When I'm busy with a project I don't have time to shop and I don't even mind because I'm busy with something fabric related.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Ok, I am a fabraholic too. I started perusing all those fabric sites with the wonderful sales, I shop my heart out. I add lots of beautiful fabrics to my cart...then I leave them sit in the cart for a day. When I go back through them, I am able to look at them all again. I usually eliminate 3/4's of them and most of the time, I am able to delete the entire order. I figure I got my fix by looking and adding them to the cart. Sure has saved me a lot of money.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Foxflower,

I'm not a fabricaholic but real close. I just can''t throw away any scrap of fabric. I have sewn for over 30 years and have been just sticking it in boxes and paper bags upstairs. There were patterns that I liked so I bought them and some fabric too, but I never did make them. I decided to clean the second floor so I brought everything down and unpacked it. After bringing down 8 boxes and don't know how many bags I had a floor covered with a rainbow fabrics. I took a few pictures and have them on my phone to look at when I get tempted to add more fabric to it. Then I ironed everything and put it in zip lock bags to keep clean and organized. After you get off all the email lists. Hide your credit cards. If you need to get a fix limited it to a certain dollar amount. Like equal to the age of one child, or the day of the month. By the way have you ever tried to make a quilt with Velveteen? (I have 6 yards each of purple and emerald green!)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 PM
QM
Power Poster

I have been a fabriholic for at least 50 years. The solution is to sew faster. I try to be very selective with my purchases and make a lot of charity quilts. I am only moderately successful, but I have less fabric than I used to (125 boxes when I married DH). Fortunately, DH is very proud of my work.

PS Velveteen is good in a quilt. I have used it many times.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM

oh,oh,oh, I am feeling ssosososoos guilty as I am a fabriholic too. And will probably enjoy it some more as I remember the time I needed a dress for a wedding and didn't own apiece of fabric to make. It was not a pleasant shopping experience to look and find nothing that hit my fancy. I no longer have that problem 'cause I always have something I like. And the times when I wanted to sew something and had no money to purchase fabric. I decided way back there that would never happen again. and it hasn't , nor will it in the next fifty years or more. Thank you but I enjoy my obsession with all cloth making hobbies and projects.