Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't save it as it takes up more space
Old 04-28-2013, 12:03 PM

I'm a saver and a collector so why not selvage! I have seen such cute projects made with them I just couldn't resist. I have a folding hamper that is half full (thanks to my sisters who also quilt and save selvage for me) ... I'm hoping to make some small projects ... I think those funky chickens look like a perfect project!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM

There is a lady on this board who is looking for selvedges (under "In Search Of") Her board name is "jerzeegoddess. She has a bag pattern on her post that is pretty!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I just finished 24 needlebooks, 4 table thread holder bags with pincushion, and 12 bookmarks from some selvages given to me. I have a huge black garbage bag full. Love to make fabric from them and then use it for other things. I plan on a vest and matching bag next.
I would love to see them!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM

I have meticulously saved(hoarded) my selvedges for years. I save 1 1/2" strip off every piece I buy. I like the way they look in quilts, but also I use them for historical purposes. I think it's neat to put the date of the fabric in a quilt. It kinda dates the quilt and hopefully will add visual interest in 100 years, when my ancestors are looking at my work.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM

I saved mine. It didn't take long so save enough to make a quilt from them. Unless you are a quilter, I don't think most people would appreciate the quilt made from "throw-away" scraps, but I think it's neat.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM

I save them and collect them from whoever sends them to me. I crochet them to make rugs different sizes for the vet/animal hospital. I also use them for my puppies to have something to lay on around the house. I just keep tying them together and make balls of yarn from them. Also make blocks for quilts for charity too. I try to use everything I can. When on a tight budget you do what you can.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM

I love them and have made several things - a sky scene with a selvage UFO among the stars, a block for a BOM challenge (I won them all!) which I turned into a fairly good size quilt. Several years ago at the Empire Quilters show in New York my favorite quilt was the first selvage quilt I ever saw. My quilting cousin, whose taste is different from mine, met up with me and said "wait till you see my favorite" - sure enough, the same quilt. It was made by guild member Karen Griska. Google her book "Quilts From the Selvage Edge" to get some ideas. Karen organized the BOM I mentioned earlier; the block was "selvage houses". If you google selvage quilts several pictures show up which also give a good idea of projects waiting to be made. I save all lengths; the smallest pieces are good for the corners of selvage strip blocks. Can you tell I'm a fan!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
They make great plant ties and by the next year have disintegrated into the ground.
gee Freckles, that is a great idea... I plant a huge vegetable garden each spring and like that idea better than the twist ties.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 PM

I save selvages. I made a fun tote bage from selvages, now saving to make a table topper. Always fun to look back at special ones to remember that project. I always cut at least 1 1/2 inches. They are additive.