Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your favorite color combinations for quilting? >

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM

I love blue, green and purple and I really love batiks! I don't care much for Civil War prints but I like 30's realy well. I don't buy jelly rolls or layer cakes, percut fabric in general unless I need FQ's for something. I rarely buy kits because I like to chose my own fabrics.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Yellow and gray is cool. So is pink and gray.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM

I am a scrappy quilter. I just reach into the bag, pull out a fabric and use it. No matter what color!When I do a lotto block then I have to purchase light fabric for the bakground. Does your guild do lotto blocks? That is a good way to try new things.. Branch out it is fun..Hugs
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 PM

I love it all, depending on my mood. I have figured out that I like a pretty good amount of white or cream mixed in. Gives my eyes a place to rest!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Let's put it this way, the only color I don't really gravitate towards is a rusty/orange brick color, yet I do have some in my stash, it seems to remind me of the 70's...why? I have no idea.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I like the bright prints but I am also drawn to the vintage shades of green pink and blue like the colors that Bonnie and Camille use in their Moda lines. I am really drawn to the aqua and gray quilts that I am seeing more and more of lately also. I really want to make a quilt using a soft grey for the background instead of white or white on white.
I love Bonnie and Camille and grey too!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM

I love it all - just depends on my mood. I do a muddy toned quilt one week and a bright the next. Then I work in pastels, then in 30's fabric. I'm drawn to all fabric!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM

I keep returning to purple with blues, purple with greens, purple with teal, purple with blacks, purple with a little pink. I especially love batiks in these colors. Did I mention I like purple? LoL
Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Everyone out there likes a different variety!! I love the autumn colors. Sage green, browns, golds, yellows, red and burgundy. But I LOVE civil war fabrics. I try to work outside my "comfort zone" so I'm currently working on "peacock" colors, with purple and green and blue. I've seen many different color combos in posted pics...I often think "wow...I never would have thought to use those colors together"....then marvel at how pretty it is!!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I love country colors and seem to be set in my ways. I tend to go with burgandies and greens and blues. I also like black and white with red or yellow. I am very traditional I guess and don't really go with batiks too much. Nor do I buy any jelly rolls or whatever. I like to pick my own fabrics.

I wondered what everyone else thinks about combining colors for fabrics in a quilt. So what draws your eye when you buy fabric?

I am needing to branch out and explore new ideas for color. so any tips and sharing your likes and dislikes would be appreciated!
So much depends on the design of the fabric and the quilt pattern. Working on a carpenter's wheel with colors I'd never have chosen if the designs of the fabric didn't match so well. (batiks)