Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I, or shouldn't I? >

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM

I just ordered a Handi Quilter Avante, and I can't wait to get it home and set up. I did not get the computer attachment but may do that later. I love the idea of being able to do my own quilts. I won't be doing them for anyone else and i won't be letting anyone else use it as i am buying it just for ME. Whether I do one quilt or one hundred quilts I will never regret my purchase. My husband is all for it and money is not an issue. That being said, good luck with your new longarm whichever one you choose, I am sure you will love it.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 AM

I purchased a new LA with computer earlier this year. I do not intend to quilt as a profession, this is solely for me to enjoy. I don't use it every day, sometimes not even every week, but I wanted to be able to make my quilts from beginning to end and I did not enjoy quilting on my DSM. I tried renting time on a LA, which was nice, but the owner oversaw my work so much that I still didn't really feel like I was doing it myself, plus I didn't have the luxury of being in my own home where I could stop and do a household task in the middle of the process if I wanted to.

I spent a lot of money and my LA takes up a lot of room, but my kids are grown so we have a lot of empty space in the house and DH has a gigantic shop in which he can fiddle with tools to his heart's content. We had the money and got a good discount for paying cash.

I'm not great with the LA. There's another lady on the QB who got a LA around the same time and when I happened upon a picture of one of her quilts I felt bad at first because she's much more talented than I am, but then I reminded myself that I'm not in competition with anyone. I'm having fun doing what I enjoy.

Since you can afford it and DH is supportive, I think if you want one you should get one. Guilt can be a good emotion in the right place and time, but it doesn't sound like this is the right place or the right time for it.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 AM

I bought my machine and frame about 6 yrs ago. I don't use it all the time, but it's there when I want to use it. I have never regreted the money spent. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 AM

First I would say try the LA before you buy to make sure it is something you want to use If it is, then go for it and get one you like.. Some require a lot of standing which may be a factor. Maybe your husband would like to use it too.
Don't let any guilt stand in your way. Like someone said, try as many as you can first to find the one that suits you
the most. If its something you really want, then do it! Have fun!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 AM

I thought about renting time, but if you do that, you have to finish the quilt in one session -- or -- unpin it and repin it (yuck) -- or -- buy your own leaders. I finally decided that I wanted my own machine so I could leave the quilt on the frame until I was through quilting it. I bought a used HQ Avante with the Prostitcher. I don't regret the decision but wish I had done a little more research as there were several upgrades already out and in the pipeline which I had to purchase later. I've probably spent as much as the cost of a new unit. All that said, I love my Avante and the Prostitcher is the cat's pj's. I have a BAQ on it right now and hopefully, will finish quilting it today. Yes, it does sit idle sometimes while I'm piecing, but I love having it there when I need it.

A comment on quilting for others... I am a very picky piecer. My seams are all pressed flat and my threads are trimmed. When I finish my flimsy, it's ready to go on the frame. I quilted one top for a friend's mother and it took me two days of pressing and trimming to get the top ready to put on the frame. If you quilt for others, you will probably see all kinds of things.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 AM

If money is not an issue and you have the room for a LA.........then by all means go for it. You never know what the future holds and the day may come that you would want to quilt for others... and then maybe not. But take advantage of the opportunity now. As far as getting your money's worth, seldom do we get our money's worth out of anything so enjoy what you can.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 AM

After reading the others comments, I have to concur with them. I bought my 1st one due to the fact I didn't care for how the quilter did mine. Of course I didn't do any of the suggestions listed here like check out all the machines and test drive them. No I just jump head 1st and bought the 1st one I saw without even trying it out. I loved the machine, just not the frame, etc. I finally got the machine I love after 6-7 years, an Innova after test driving it at a quilt show. Finally did something right for a change. My mother bought it for me as she wanted her quilt finished in this century. Got a 26" on a 12' frame and I only quilt for myself. I will probably never get my money's worth out of it but that doesn't matter to me as its a nice toy to have when I'm in the mood to quilt. I know this sounds silly and a waste of money but to me it isn't. Most of my quilts are custom quilted so you know how much money that costs if I sent them out to be done.

I've had my system since late November 2012 and have only been able to quilt 6 quilts due to my back going out on me in February but I know I'll be back at it soon enough. I've got 6 more quilts ready to be quilted with one on the frame right now.

Guess it all boils down to whether you enjoy quilting and not so much to whether you'll get your money's worth out of the investment. Since money is not the issue, that's a moot point. So are you sure you'll enjoy quilting on it? If so, then try out a bunch of machine/setups as each one has their pros and cons. Decide on how much of a machine/frame you need and start looking for it. Quilt Shows seem to be the best way to try out a number of them at one place. Customer Service is another important issue with any machine. Plus if you can go onto a various number of machine digest and see what others say about their machines, problems they've had, etc. that will help you with your decision.

That's my take on the subject.

Suz in Iowa
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 AM

I agree with others, it does not have to pay for itself. It has to be something you really enjoy. I went to the Cincinnati show 2 years ago and tried out all the machines AND the frames they were on. I purchased a Baby Lock Crown Jewel (the same machine as the HQ Avante) and I went to the free 4 day class in St. Louis with Kay Capps Cross. The class was wonderful in showing me everything there is to know about my machine and frame and to give me lots of supervised time on a machine to try out all sorts of patterns and designs. It helped me to get over the frozen hands on the handles phenomenon.
I find that I LOVE the quilting much more than the piecing. I find that I am creative in ways I never knew. In 2 years, I have done 33 quilts and have tried all sorts of things like pantographs, rulers, lots of free motion designs and can now do some without patterns. I chose not to get the computer and am very glad now that I did not.
Longarms are not easy at first and it takes a long time to learn to be smooth with your movements. Get some inexpensive muslin and batting and try to rent a machine to try it out. Allow yourself lots of time to be goofy and to make mistakes.
I have done a few quilts for friends and find that the pressure in doing those is not what I want.
(The class was sooo important for me) I could now get the computer, but don't think I want it.

I wish you the best in your quilting with whatever you decide to do.

Beth
Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

It all depends on how much you want and love to quilt. I just received my first copy of Fons and Porter monthly magazine script. In the back is a Ram Tin-Lizzie 18 for $5999.00 ad. You can go to www.tinlizzzie18.com. or call 888-QUILT-18. FYI
Old 05-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

If I could afford one and had the room -

I would absolutely NOT want to rent it out to anyone - I get annoyed enough when things foul up for me
I would not want to work on anyone else's stuff - I know how picky I am - and I didn't get the creative gene that some of the LAers have

Does one get one's money worth out of a vacation? Doesn't stop many people from taking them.

You are in the wonderful position of being able to get one if you want one - AND your DH is supportive! You are one lucky woman!

But the bottom line is - do you really want to have one - and the advice of all the others to test drive them is excellent.

The 'biggest, fanciest, and most expensive' isn't always the 'best for you'