Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is McTavishing appropriate for bed quilts? >
  • Is McTavishing appropriate for bed quilts?

• Is McTavishing appropriate for bed quilts?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:52 PM

I find it very interesting that now babies are only to sleep on their backs do they don't suffocate. When my bunch was little it was only sleep on their tummies so they don't choke. Hmmmm guess they're going to figure out a way for them to only sleep on their side next so they don't xxxxx????
    Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks so much for the info! I had not realized that McTavishing was used primarily as backfill to make motifs pop. The photos are showing me how that works. Wow, feline fanatic; I just hope I can achieve that level of quilting someday.

Also didn't know about the baby monitors. If I ever have any grandchildren, they are going to get those!

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and experiment with McTavishing. Aside from using it for backfill, I'm thinking I may be able to do it on a larger scale so the quilting isn't as dense.
    Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

I put my kids on their tummies, covered them with a blanket and they had a baby pillow! I am a believer in the breathing monitor though. It can save a life.
    Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 AM

My daughter not only slept on her stomach with a blanket, but one of the cats slept in the crib with her most of the time. Forty years later, she's now a 'cat magnet'.
    Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl
    Since babies aren't supposed to sleep with sheets or quilts anymore, it didn't matter.

Sorry to ask a stupid question, but what are they supposed to sleep on? Not a bare mattress, I'm sure, but what?
    Yes, they should be on a bare mattress, babies can suffocate when unable to remove themselves from under a heavy blanket or if they roll down between the mattress and the bumper pad. This website has great info: http://www.nichd.nih.gov/SIDS/Pages/sids.aspx I was so pleased to see that SIDS deaths have dropped by half in the last 20 years, with this newer information.
    Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 AM

Felin Fanatic your quilting is gorgeous. I think that type of quilting would look good on a baby quilt. My DD had twins (girl & boy) last November and they have to be next to each other to sleep. No matter how far apart DD puts them they wiggle until they are touching. She was told to let them sleep on their backs and no blankets, quilts, covering of any kind and absolutely no bumper pads. I am a retired CCU nurse and when my DD was a baby I was told to put her on her stomach and I was told to make sure I had bumper pads on the crib to prevent her from sticking her arms/legs through the rails. That was 27 years ago so that is how much things have changed over my nursing career. Strange how things change and some do not seem to be for the better.
    Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 AM

Yes, according to today's information, I am totally amazed that any of us survived way back when.
    Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM

Because of all the restrictions of what can be put in a baby's crib, I now make "Tummy Time" quilts for new moms. I started calling them "throw the baby on the floor" quilts. But I guess that sounded too harsh for first time moms, lol. Now I can quilt and not worry if it is soft and pliable. I made them in the new bright colors and they work great.
    Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 AM

They do sleep on a bare mattress. Mommies use something called a "sleep sack" which is like a blanket that fits on the baby to keep them warm. It's a wonder my kid survived with a quilt in his crib.
    Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 AM

I usually use very dense quilting and the thinnest cotton batting from warm and natural, my family calls them ankle killers! I really prefer dense quilting, but I am learning it doesn't take that much!