Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Multiple Batting Layers >

Multiple Batting Layers

Multiple Batting Layers

Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Something else to consider...how are you going to wash and dry the quilt when it's done?
Is your machine big enough or would you have to take it to the laundry mat?
Will it fit in their machine? How long is it going to take to dry those five layers?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I have done two but never 3 and I have a LA so was able to put it on a rack. Can't imagine trying to manipulate a monster like that under a domestic. Speaking of which, I don't know how many domestic machines out there have what it takes to go through 3 layers like that, especially one being a wool blanket which are quite dense. If you do attempt this, which IMHO is ill advised, I would make a test sandwich first to make sure your machine is even capable of stitching through all those layers. In your test, have piecing so you have the seam allowance as well. I think very few domestic machines, with the exception of workhorse vintage machines would be capable of sewing through all those layers PLUS seam allowances.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM

Well, I talked him out of it!!! Yay! So, we're down to two layers. I understand why he wanted it, and I'm hoping that the two layers will work. One will be high loft and one will be normal loft. Though, when I bought the high loft yesterday...it doesn't seem very "high" to me!! Looks just like the low loft I have.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

This is why I love this board. I would never have thought of using two layers of batting. It sounds like a great idea for a quilt top I have had hanging around! Thanks for the idea!