Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on growth of quilting >

Question on growth of quilting

Question on growth of quilting

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM

I did limited quilting when I was younger, mostly just blocks and tying. Now that I have retired, I have joined a guild and having a lot of fun learning new techniques. I think it helps that the rules have changed and there are so many new accessories to help with the process.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I started quilting in the late 70's - early 80's and the amount of information on quilting has increased tremendously. I started with templates, scissors and no rotary cutters, mats, etc. There also is much more information on the internet with amazing tutorials, web sites, quilt stores on line, etc., etc. The other thing I've found is the abundance of a huge variety of fabrics, which wasn't available when I first started to quilt. I too am part of the baby boomer generation, and I've been quilting for a great many years with new advancements coming fast and furious - so enjoy all there is out there in quilting land.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM

I agree that the internet has brought more people together and has broadened the horizons of all crafts. Also the cable tv shows etc. Being from the lower south we really don't have a huge need for quilts as most of you ladies do up north. At 55 I first learned to quilt from my Aunt at 15 yrs old, never really took an interest in it until many years later. Still here in New Orleans we have very few fabric shops. I have no choice than to order thru the net, saves time and gas. But this is a craft that I enjoy and I have too many relatives who would want nothing more than handmade. I believe the public in general is just tired of the cheaply made products from abroad. ( not that all are cheap- but a lot are). Also I feel people are looking for something unique, something no one else has and that has brought this craft as so many others more attention.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM

jcrow- How do you Google for fabric after looking at a picture?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM

I think it's more than just that - right now the whole arts and crafts movement is huge. I think modern quilting though has really been the push that has increased the plethora of quilting web sites and blogs. Remember when knitting was really big and trendy for a while? I think that's kind of happening with quilting, but not necessarily to the same degree. Whatever it is I truly see it too and am thrilled!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldHairTwister View Post
jcrow- How do you Google for fabric after looking at a picture?
I'm not sure if she uses the same tool I do.... on most websites, you can click on the picture and drag it to the search bar. Then click "images" and it will pull up images that have similar color compositions.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:13 AM

Thanks Peckish. I'll try that.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 AM

I started quilting in 1978. I love to hand quilt, but my time is running out, so I got into machine quilting a few years ago. I love that too. When I started it was BC (before computers), no paper piecing, no rotary cutters, no JoAn's. The tech world has really given us the resources, and the great people that do quilt, a place to get together. Knowing that a person has a place to go for help, or just info in general, gives them confidence to try a new project. I know I spend as much time as I can on the Quilting Board. It is a wonderful group!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 AM

I can still remember when the rotary cutter was introduced, it was the single biggest change in quilting! Not all quilts had to be cut with sissors and templates. The market exploded with strip method books and patterns, and shops dedicated to quilting came into the retail world. It no longer took soooo long just to cut a quilt. I still marvel at this amazing tool. The access to information via the internet on just about every subject has certainly enhanced its growth and popularity.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

People are really into recycling and they are coming around to seeing how fabrics are recycled and memories are made through quilting. My husband usually asks what I want done with clothes he is about to trash. Yesterday I saw a pair of jeans he tossed. Yes, everyone, I retrieved them and washed them in hot soapy water. They were on top and our garbage is always in bags. I'll cut them up and prepare them for a rainy day quilt. The LQS in my area are always busy with classes and they say some kids from the art classes from the schools come by to look at many of the different fabrics. You can't do that online.