Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sibling Rivalry Quilt >

Sibling Rivalry Quilt

Sibling Rivalry Quilt

Old 03-02-2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DebJ
What kind of finish is that you did to the edges? It looks like that silky blanket edging. Your quilt is really pretty. I wish I could get the hang of machine quilting; of course I have been quilting for a few years and still don't have it down pat whether I quilt by machine or hand. I'll keep trying though. I enjoy it to much to quit now. :-)
I think it is called blanket edging. It is just the way I was taught, so I'm not sure of the name! I'm not able to quilt the whole thing, just able to do little designs. I'm not good at making sure all the layers are the same size and it always ends up bunching at the edges. If any one has any advice for this I would love to hear it!! :)
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM

:thumbup: :-D I love the colors good job[img]
Old 03-02-2007, 09:25 PM

The ladies in the quilt group I belong to and I, either spread the backing on the floor (tile) and tape it down starting a one end then the opposite making it as tight and smooth as you can or spread across those rectangle tables at a church (usually 3 together) and use spring clamps (like big clothes pins) to hold the fabric taught. Then gently pat your batting smooth on top of this and on top of the batting smooth your top. Then starting in the middle, baste with basting pins (large curved shape safety pins) or baste with needle and thread making "Large Stitches". Then quilt from the middle out (some don't) but that is what they say we're suppose to do it. Oh yeah the edges aren't even when you start, you even them up after you've quilted it then put the binding on or blanket edge. I'm not trying to be a know it all this is just some stuff I've learned or observe my fellow quilters doing. I hope it is of some help. :D
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by DebJ
The ladies in the quilt group I belong to and I, either spread the backing on the floor (tile) and tape it down starting a one end then the opposite making it as tight and smooth as you can or spread across those rectangle tables at a church (usually 3 together) and use spring clamps (like big clothes pins) to hold the fabric taught. Then gently pat your batting smooth on top of this and on top of the batting smooth your top. Then starting in the middle, baste with basting pins or baste with needle and thread making "Large Stitches". Then quilt from the middle out (some don't) but that is what they say we're suppose to do it. Oh yeah the edges aren't even when you start, you even them up after you've quilted it then put the binding on or blanket edge. I'm not trying to be a know it all this is just some stuff I've learned or observe my fellow quilters doing. I hope it is of some help.
I do all of my quilting by machine, so while your advice is great, not sure it would work. I get poked by the pins! I'll have to try with the large stiches. I was taught to quilt by someone who ties all of her quilts, so I was taught to do the binding first. I think that is my main problem. Thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:04 AM

I use safety pins to stablize the layers. Don't get poked!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by sallyjo
I use safety pins to stablize the layers. Don't get poked!
:wink: Thanks, that would make sense!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 AM

I've seen large bent safety pins in the store. Has any one used these? What is the advantage of a bent pin?
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM

I use the curved basting pins all the time for almost every project.... I just bought another box of 250 of them last night because I need enuf to pin baste a king size quilt and I knew I didn't have enuf to do that.... they are awesome! I use a crochet needle to open and close them. Mine are 1 1/4" long.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Hello there i am new to this borad and i love your quilt it is your own pattern or did you get it some where i love it.

Hugs
cindy
Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 AM

Just a pic I saved of the internet. It's on my to do wish list.