Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blind as a bat >

Blind as a bat

Blind as a bat

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by IshtarsMom View Post
Think the headlamp is a wonderful idea....I used this as an excuse to buy a floor lamp I wanted that had a side light I can direct on my work... Understand about the arthritis..long to be able to do the hand work I used to..my right index finger is so messed up the needle never goes where it's supposed to.

I feel your pain..I live on steroids because of COPD, and the meds and oxygen issues have started eye issues..I used to do 8-10 stitches nice and straight..No more---but my recipients don't mind and I still can do something I love...May in time if the stiffness in my hands gets much worse I will have to learn to machine quilt..until then I keep plugging on~~
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM

When Harbor Freight first opened in my area my husband found a Head Strap Magnifier w/Multiple Lens there that has everything you need for close work. It was item 95890 but in the catalog it's 38896 and costs $3.99! Can't go wrong at that price!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM

I have used a headlamp for quilting for years. I shared this with my local group but never thought to put it on the board. Mine looks different as it is the camping design but does the same thing with the LED lights and pivots. They are available at any sporting goods or camping store and maybe even the sporting departments in the 'Big Box' stores. It looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Trai...ords=headlight
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM

I had a cataract removed from my right eye about 2 years ago and one from my left about a year ago. What a difference, the colors are much brighter and clearer. I went to the dollar tree and bought 6 pair of the reading glasses. One dollar each. They are all over my sewing room. lol I picked up a medicine bottle that I could not read and took it over to the glasses and went through the different strengths until I found the ones that I could read that tiny printing from 10 inches away. I would not be without them now. I think they are great just for the magnifying even if you don't really need glasses. Syl
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Walmart has lights that clip on the bill of ball caps (around $5). They are adjustible for up & down and really work like a charm for many things although I have not tried them for quilting but you can be sure that I am going to now
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM

I'm going to head to Harbor Freight! I have good light for one of my machines but I don't have good light by my black Singer 301 and at night it is hard to see. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I use a book light to thread needles..I have the beginnings of cataracts and the start of glocauma (can't spell)..I hand quilt and the head lamp would be GREAT~ ! I wouldn't mind looking like a doorknob if it makes my quilting easier...Where can I find one?
Try Harbor Freght, Sears or even Walmart.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM
ro
Banned

to ilovetoquilt: on your ear? now that's funny. but what the heck, as long as it works.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 PM

Lowe's has the headlamps and other types of lights with the flashlights. They have one that my husband uses for work that has a red head band. The light is amazingly bright.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
ro
Banned

i also had catarac surgery. like you, i have glasses all over the house. but i bought a stronger pair of the dollar glasses to use when i quilt. works for me. i also left the sticker on that says what the magnification is so that i dont pick up the stronger ones when i dont really need them.