Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Batiks >

Hand Quilting Batiks

Hand Quilting Batiks

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Default Hand Quilting Batiks

I finally got "Tropical Nights" pinned the other day, and this morning I started quilting my dolphin shapes on it. I just finished the fifth one, and I must say, either I am very lucky today or this fabric is magic! Each time I end one of the dolphins, the knot goes through perfectly. I only have to pull once and the knot pops under. Not one has broken. I am so happy. Is this usual, or am I just having a great day?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I've never had a problem before. Sometimes it takes more than one tug on batiks but I've never had the thread break on me.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM

I love hand quilting batiks - the stitches look so lovely on them. I don't find them any harder to hand quilt than other fabrics.

Enjoy!

Janet
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM

I had a problem with a Hawaiian wallhanging that had batik on the back. My stitches didn't seem to penetrate through to the back. I finally ripped out the quilting after showing it to the handquilting teacher at the LQS, she said it was probably the tight weave of the batik. I replaced the back with regular cotton and have it basted. Hopefully it will go beter this time. I took a class with Luxine Newman, the Thimblelady, just to quilt this piece. My Mother did the applique in the 70's when we lived on Oahu. We moved back to California and she put it away. She gave it to me recently after we saw some Hawaiian quilts and I said I should make one to remember our year in Hawaii ... she knew right where it was, LOL!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 AM

I am handquilting a Pacific Rim(Nancy Chong) Hawiian quilt and am having difficulty. I happened to run into Nancy @ Mid-valley Quilt Guild quilt show and she told me never to put two layers of batik and try to handquilt!!! I have learned my lesson!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Oh I am saying that I am NOT having a problem. It is wonderful. This quilt is batiks front and back, and it is going great. Usually every third knot snaps off the thread when I am ending a section. This is doing so well, I may want to do another. Wish I had discovered batiks YEARS ago.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM

I belong to a hand quilting bee and we quilted a batik quilt. It was fine except where there were strips of batik in the backing. Those areas were extremely difficult.

mltquilt