Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches? >

Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

Start/end by burying thread or tiny stitches?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
Do you have to KNOT and bury or can you just bury? Would like to know the answer to this.
You need to knot. It's not enough to just bury the thread ends.

If I were making a quilt for a show, I would knot and bury the thread ends, but that's the only time I would do it. For me, I found that taking 3 to 5 *tiny* stitches shows less than sewing in place for 3 to 5 stitches (creates a little lump). The stitch length depends on the batting used, but typically it's somewhere around a .5 stitch length on my Bernina. If in a particularly worrisome mood, I will backstitch just one of those stitches, but I seriously doubt that is necessary.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM

I was just in a BSR class and they taught us to do a tack stitch at the beginning and the end - that way you don't get a know underneath and it doesn't show much. I liked that better than the 3 or 4 small stitches.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 AM

Nammie I would like to know more about that tack stitch.
I used to take small stiches and cut the thread, but now I am quilting other people's work, I tie off and bury.
I mainly do edge to edge quiilting and hopefully only need to do this when the bobbin runs out.
But I do get the occasional whoopsey and need to restart.
I tie off at the time by unpicking top and bottom threads for about two or more inches then starting again at that spot tying all four threads together with a square knot and bury them.
I find that works for me by using an embroidery needle with an eye big enough to take all four threads.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
three stitches in place for me....they do not come undone.
That is what I do too...unless I would be entering a quilt into a show for competition, then I would bury the threads with a needle.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM

I used to do the tiny stitches method, but I was never really happy with the results. So for the past six months or so, I've been doing the burying method where I pull up the bobbin thread, make a small knot and bury the threads into the batting using a cheater needle and I am soooo much happier with the resulting look. Nice and neat and to me, worth the few extra minutes it takes to knot and bury the threads.