Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these? >

Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

Portable Design Wall - Does anyone have one of these?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 AM

I use the back side of vinal table cloth I purchased at the dollar store. I use thumb tacks and stick them to the wall. Very affordable
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM

I just use the super cheap flannel backed vinyl tablecloth. Don't think i would want to get a significantly more expensive one.

However I'm thinking I would prefer a fleece one for several reasons - more stable, could be larger, fabric would stick to it better. Now to find a big sale on fleece and decide what color I want it to be.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
When I want to use a design wall, I hand a piece of flannel on a dowel between two wreath hangers which are hanging from the doors of a double closet. Works for me.

Same here. It works for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
Fons and Porter's website had a portable design wall. It cost me under $25.00,it is gridded so that I can keep the quilt nice and even. I bought some of the Command portable hooks that you can put on the wall and take off with no residue.I really like it. I don't have space to put a permanent design wall and unless I win the lottery tonight, I won't have anytime in the future. I kept the bag it came in and when I'm done with it, I store it back in the bag.
I use the flannel back of a vinyl tablecloth and hang it with the Command hooks. That is my "extra" design wall and I hang it over some closet doors when I need it. I also have the foam insulation boards covered with flannel as my permanent design wall.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:01 AM

My husband got me one for a gift. While it seems like a good idea in theory, it's really pretty rickety and yu can barely touch it as you put your designs on or you'll knock it over. Also, you have to put it somewhere where you knot only have room for the front, but also the legs that hold it up out the back. I have mine actually mounted on a wall, which unfortunately is a lot more expense for a design wall than if I'd just started out making one for the wall.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:05 AM

I also have "Cheryl's" design wall....the prices are comparable. I haven't heard anything about this one but am happy with mine. I don't want the hassle or have the room for a temp one that's home made. It looks like a good idea, but afraid it may be tippy. Mine sits full width on the floor, but you do have to do some assemble each time. Let us know if you get it and how you like it!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 AM

I made mine with insulation board I got at Home Depot (it's super light-weight, has no fiberglass in it and is the perfect size, but can easily be cut smaller if you wish), and covered with white flannel, which I pulled to the back and tacked down with duct tape. Works wonderfully, is very portable and cost very little to make!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 AM

Glad this thread has come up. I have been trying to decide how to make a design wall and all are good suggestions. (Can't afford to buy a pricey one). I was thinking of using a cardboard dressmaker's board which I have on hand and will check out Nickel Quilts site. Also have a few new flannel backed tablecloths. Will see how to use these, too.

Thanks again!

Anita
Old 05-20-2013, 04:13 AM

I bought the same 6x6 foot 'design wall' at a Des Moines quilt show and hung it with command hooks. Though it was 'pricey' my wife much prefers it's 'professional appearance' versus the fleece that I had previously stapled to the wall. True, it's not large enough for a complete bed-size quilt, it does work quite well for the center portion of all of the queen size quilts I've made thus far. So, it works for us.... Incidentally, my wife has absolutely nothing to do with my quilting hobby....
Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 AM

I just hung a 2yard piece of white fleece on a dowel and if I don't need it that large I just fold t in half. Fabric holds to it without pins. I tried old curtain stretchers but thay were too cumbersome