Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 05-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Glenn, I'm cleaning a machine head and there's a milky-white film everywhere I have wiped with the denatured alcohol and linseed oil. Am I doing something wrong or should I keep going until this stops appearing? Also, I am confused about when it is necessary to use the aniline dye. Finally, is it necessary to clean off the alcohol/oil solution before applying the shellac? Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us!

Jan
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=jpete523;6075961]Glenn, I'm cleaning a machine head and there's a milky-white film everywhere I have wiped with the denatured alcohol and linseed oil. Am I doing something wrong or should I keep going until this stops appearing? Also, I am confused about when it is necessary to use the aniline dye. Finally, is it necessary to clean off the alcohol/oil solution before applying the shellac? Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us!

Hi Jan, Was the white film on the machine before you started cleaning or did start to show after cleaning? I need to know what type of machine you have Singer? with the black japan finish. The aniline dye is mixed with shellac to a paint consistency and used to touch up chips and areas that are missing the black. No need to remove the alcohol and linseed oil because you will be using the linseed oil when applying the shellac. But first we need to find out about the white film. Could you post a pic please. I would not do anything else until we find out what the film is. If your machine is not a singer it may not have a shellac clear coat. So a pic would help me see what is going on and I can advise you on the correct method of fixing the problem. My feeling is that if this happened while cleaning the clear coat it may not be shellac. I am always glad to help a fellow Texan. Born in Decatur. Waiting for your next post Skip
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM

Who do I contact to deal with a problem (technical) on this forum? I can't see any posting past 140 even though there are 142 posts listed. I doubt that I can see this post of mine. I am not having any problems with any other forum.

Cathy
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Who do I contact to deal with a problem (technical) on this forum? I can't see any posting past 140 even though there are 142 posts listed. I doubt that I can see this post of mine. I am not having any problems with any other forum.

Cathy
Cathy I had the same problem but it corrected itself. I dont know what happened. I would contact the moderator and see how to get in touch tech support.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

I used rubbing alcohol on a Singer 99 to clean the tar stuff off. The shellac turned white. Can I put new shellac on over it or will it always be white? The poor machine sews fine - kinda ugly.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Glenn, This is a Wizard Electric, made in Occupied Japan, modeled after a Singer 15. So we're guessing it's not shellac but probably lacquer? Oh my, now what oh Mighty Wise One? Have I made a major boo-boo?

Jan, who hails from Houston
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	2237
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	414699  
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM

No Jan you are okay. I want you to take denatured alcohol and place it on the black paint underneath the machine to see if it will soften the finish, if it does it is shellac if not it is lacquer. Do the same with acetone(solvent for lacquer) if the rags turns black then it is lacquer. If it is the latter you can sand with fine paper(wet or dry) using water or kerosene as a lube for the sandpaper. When smooth spray the whole with lacquer. Before spraying you can trace over the Mercury decal with gold paint and a small artist brush to brighten it.
Skip
Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I used rubbing alcohol on a Singer 99 to clean the tar stuff off. The shellac turned white. Can I put new shellac on over it or will it always be white? The poor machine sews fine - kinda ugly.
Oh Miriam, first is the 99 black japan if so then you can mix some aniline dye(alcohol soluble) with the shellac to make a very black paint. Use this tinted shellac and the linseed oil to french polish the whit areas and you shold be fine. This will take several polishings to get good coverage. Sometimes french polish with just linseed oil a little alcohol will remove the white areas. But if you have done this over lacquer the alcohol will turn it white. If lacquer get some high gloss black lacquer and spray the white areas. Next time use bug and tar remover made for cars.
Skip
Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Thanks, I'll do that but it'll have to wait until tomorrow since I don't have any acetone. Closest thing is nail polish remover and I doubt that's what you mean. If the denatured alcohol softens the finish am I double checking that it's shellac by applying the acetone? I am lightly sanding to remove the whitened areas? And finally, is lacquer only available as a spray? You want me to paint the decal????? Oh, that's funny, Skip! My hands are so shakey I can't paint a wall! Maybe I could bribe my oldest granddaughter to do it. College kids always need money.

Jan
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Jan you can buy lacquer in a can for brushing but you don't want to try it because is will leave brush marks spraying is the best. Nail polish remover is acetone but contains some kind of oil so it is easy on the hands. Acetone will try out you skin in a hurry. You can try it but it will take longer to penetrate the finish because of the oil in it. Make sure sure you are sanding with wet and dry paper with a lubricant so the finish will take a very smooth coat of paint if needed. If it turns out to be lacquer you will need acetone anyway.
Skip
Ps if the alcohol softens the finish no need to check with the acetone test.