Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM

When I pressure myself to complete something, I get stressed & lose desire. After all, it's supposed to be a hobby.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

I have been in a funk for awhile too. I enjoy reading about quilting (this board) and I have been reading the Elm Creek books. I took out about a dozen from the library and am about half done with them. They are fun and don't require a lot of concentration. I am really enjoying them. I think my desire to quilt will return soon, at least I hope so.
Sue
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM

After about 14 years of quilting, I too got a bit burned out and that really upset me. Quilting had always been my "happy place" to go to and just have fun and be creative. I actually ended up taking about a year off and then one day, it all came back to me -- the anticipation, the creativity and the fun! Now I'm just as enthusiastic as I was when I first started quilting. In the end, I'm glad I gave myself that time off. It made all the difference and recharged my quilting batteries!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Such a shame you are losing your Mojo again. Your quilts are always beautiful and such perfect piecing.
I guess I am a little slower this year. I am working on the 7th quilt for this year. We had some messy home improvements, and redid the landscaping in the backyard. I hope to get moving a bit faster. I am going to start a Dresden Plate quilt as soon as I finish this quilt. I haven't lost my Mojo and hope I don't. I have lots of beautiful fabrics I want to make up. I work a full time job also, take care of 3 cats, a bird and small dog. My Husband takes care of himself.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:43 PM

I lost my quilting mojo for about 18 months after my mom passed away. I'd try to quilt, but my heart just wasn't in it. Thanks to my friend, Peggi, who kept sending me pictures of cute quilts, invited me to the Houston quilt show, and just generally supported me without actually saying I was in a funk, I've finally gotten it back! In the past 3 months I've made 4 quilts, including 2 memorial quilts out of my mom's clothes that I've put off because it made me so sad. I actually had fun doing it! So, I give all the credit to Peggi, who nudged, but never pushed me back into quilting!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM

When I retired I thought I would spend at least 20 hours a week sewing. I didn't. I cleaned house, baked, walked, painted the house, played with the grandkids, and did everything else but sew. This fall I started sewing and haven't stopped. I finally figured out that when I was working sewing was my escape and after I retired I didn't have anything to escape from. Now I sew for enjoyment and have many projects being worked on at a time. Every now and then I slow down and when I look around I discover it is because my sewing room really needs to be organized again. It is so much easier to go in and sew when you can FIND the top of the table.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:56 PM

I am so glad to read all these comments. I am in this place now and find it very frustrating. the last 2 years I was at Uni doing a Masters Degree and all I could think of was sewing however now I have time and am even on annual leave I have no interest. Then I feel as guilty as all get out because I have all these expensive machines and tools just sitting there. Instead of sewing I am watching all the old episodes of Star Trek, yes sad but true I am a Trekkie. I suppose it will all come good when my leave is over and I have limited time again!!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 AM

Yes, it seems normal to have this feeling about 'stop quilting and do something else'!
and then the love for fabrics and colors comes back, and we are ready to start and follow our heart!
Patricia
Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 AM

I do it too, only was due to so many negative things happening around me for several months. I found that by going in and trying to straighten out the mess i was trying to work in has helped. It will come back, it just takes time. Find something you like and just do it. In fact i can hear my sewing machine calling me now...
Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 AM

I started a few projects (Pickle quilt, Sylvia's Bridal quilt) etc. and now I don't feel like working on them. Think I need to work on something that goes quickly to get my interest back.Of course with the nice weather I always get sluggish.