Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 AM

To my way of thinking - why make them to hide in a closet? Seems like an awful pity and waste of time and money if no one gets to see them or use them. Quite a few years ago I made a quilt for my mother after my father passed away. Much to my dismay, I found it on the top shelf of her closet, still in the box, wrapped in tissue, after her passing. She never used it - she apparently was "saving it for special". I was so sad. I really wanted her to use it and enjoy it. Use your quilts!!!!! Make more if they wear out.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 AM

I use my quilts. I have a couple of special quilts that I use on beds. My hand quilted quilts are used also. Why hide them in a closet? I want my quilts to be used & hope my kids don't give them to Goodwill or landfill.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 AM

I LOVE going to sleep under a quilt I have made. Not using a quilt is kind of like making a beautiful cake or pie and not eating it.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I LOVE going to sleep under a quilt I have made. Not using a quilt is kind of like making a beautiful cake or pie and not eating it.
I agree, that's a nice analogy!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 AM

I love to walk into a room and see my quilts on a bed, gives me a real good feeling. One of the last quilts that I made for my niece's baby, I used double batting to make it softer for her, she crawls over it on the floor. The only time I got upset was when my sister slept over and slept on top of the quilt, she said she was to warm to put a cover on.
NormaBeth
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 AM

I use them!! They get better and my live for them with daily viewing . It also gives me an excuse to make another if it wears out- which I'm still waiting lol!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 AM

I use all my quilts and wash them regularly. I have worn one out, but that just shows how much it was loved, in my opinion. I wash any quilt before I give it so that the new owner knows that you don't have to treat them with kid gloves. I feel a well snuggled quilt is a happy quilt!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM

When I give a quilt, I tell the person getting it that if I happen to drop by and it's not been used, I'm taking it back! I also tell them if they can find any/all the errors made in the quilt they can pay me $20 per error. So far, no one has paid me any 'finders fee' or returned any to me.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Exactly. If it's just going to sit in a closet and collect dust why not just stick the fabric in there and call it good?
I love this answer! Scissor Queen makes a good point.

I think it's unanimous -- use them!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
When I was younger and received something "special" such as expensive perfume, etc., I would put it away and not use it because if I used it up, it would be gone and I wouldn't have it any longer. One day as I was dusting all these "special, unused items," I had an epiphany. By saving them and not using them, it was like I didn't have them at all. I decided that very day that when I received something special, I would use it and enjoy it.

Quilts are special items to be used and enjoyed. If you have them tucked away in your linen closet, do you only enjoy them when you clean that closet? Wouldn't it be more rewarding to have them out where you and your loved ones could enjoy them everyday of your lives? The only quilt in my house that doesn't get used (yet) is the show quilt I made earlier this year because I intend to enter it into a few other shows. After that, you better believe it will be put on a bed to be seen and enjoyed.
couldn't have said it better! Amen!!