Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM

The thought of so many UFOs would be overwhelming to me. I have three projects going and don't know where to start. I'm just going to do one (the smallest one) till it's done and that will get me inspired to do some more.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 AM

When I started quilting a few months ago, I told myself I will always finish what I start before I start something else. Boy, that didn't last long. LOL....I have 2 quilt tops waiting for me.....I lose interest and leave it alone for awhile and then I feel guilty and sit down at my beautiful machine and start sewing. I recently bought an Accuquilt Go and love it. I'm 70 years old and my carpel tunnel gives me problems if I have to use the the hand tools. Anyway, don't feel bad about losing your mojo. We all do.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM

I hear ya - I have to switch to different types of hobbies - digital scrapbooking, cross-stitching, woodworking. Thankfully I'm in a quilting mode now.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I think we all get our mojos lost in some sort of craft i usually do a little quilting then change to something else and come back i have a few unfinished projects going , you will get back to wanting to quilt
HUGS dora
Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM

We can all understand the quilting funks. I have been in one during the beginning of the year. But, for me nothing beats the funk like some $$$ in my purse, and online sales or a visit to your lqs. Right now I am in a quilting marathon, one quilt being bound, one bom done (July), 1 quilt off to Charisma for longarming, one top done for a new charity that I hope to start, border just cut for this one, blocks waiting to be sashed for a dgd bd present, a couple of birthday quilt kits put together. It started in April when I decided to work from my stash, and I put together quilt kits (4-6 different fabrics in zip locks), piled them next to my chair, and went through my quilt books for ideas. I broke my fabric moratorium this week when I bought 2 panels to make similar quilts for my dd and dsil.

Fondle some fabric, take an hour to meditate on what makes you happy and in peace. namaste.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 PM

I have been that way since my Mother died in August of 2012. I cleaned the studio up, Put everything on hold for a while, while I was fighting kidney stones during Thanksgiving to the new year., I started reading novels and to this day I have read 26 novels. I have begun to lose interest in reading now. So maybe soon I will be back again quilting.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Oh please don't let this happen to me. I have so much fabric, machines, etc. My husband would commit me if I wasted all that stuff. Sometimes you just need a break. I do a lot of outside work in flower and vegetable gardens, mowing grass, going to ball games for grandchildren and numerous other things and always want some sewing time. I'm sure it will pass.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 PM

I have lost my mojo too - have made a couple of quilts but it was a real effort to get them done. Hope you get over it soon!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 AM

This is me...I get overwhelmed when I have fabric all over the place or piles of scraps. I am in the slump again...I am going to try and get back into it this weekend and sew...rain all week and more this weekend. ; (
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I go through this too. I find it often happens to me when I let the studio get piled up, disorganized, over-run, just plain messy. Then I don't want to straighten it up and just sort of close my eyes to it when I go by. And that's hard because the studio is my *living room*!

So, when I make myself put things away, shelve partially finished projects neatly, rearrange fabric, dust and vacuum, and clean my machine, I find that the desire to begin again is quite pleasant and strong.

Jan in VA
Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 PM

Sometimes it is as simple as cleaning up your stash. Go through your scraps and turn them into squares you can use--if big enough for strips 2.5 inches seems to be a really good size. Same with bigger stuff, use the layer cakes, etc. in size as a good jumping off place. I find when I play, I often get inspired. Finishing things--well, that's discipline. I find I finish things pretty well, around Christmas! They become gifts. I also try and get a head start by completing a few projects that I can give as gifts. I am afraid though that you have become bored with your projects. Many of us do, and they often become UFO's. Either decide that you are going to finish, maybe plan 1 a week or a month until you finish(or put them in your UFO stash thinking you may get around to it). Too bad we don't have little elves to come along and finish these projects!