Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilts rock View Post
I have a few full size quilts I have made and they are in the linen closet. I was sorting closets yesterday and thought I should be using them. Every time I put them out on a bed I get stressed thinking what if someone spills something on them, or if they fade when washed. Does anyone else have this phobia?
Quilts are meant to be used. They should be loved, who cares if something gets spilled on them or the dog pees on it. Wash it and put it back on the bed.

If the quilts I make aren't used I get upset. Mine are made to be loved and used till they fall apart. I will just make another one.

One of my quilts is on a journey with my Aunt, she went on her journey to our ancestors almost 3 years ago. I loved her very much and she needed something to keep her warm on her journey home.

Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 05-23-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I use all my quilts. I just make sure to not lay on them. If you lay on them, you can split the seams easily.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
huh??????????
My thoughts exactly!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 AM

i use mine. even my dear jane. slept under it on a hospital bed when i broke my arm/shoulder. i would hate for her to wear out, so i am careful with her, but the whole family uses the quilts. they were made to use. that way, they think of me everytime they see them!!! selfish, aren't i?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Oh, by all means use them and enjoy the beauty that you created!!
Some years ago I made a quilt for a young couple out of her wedding dress. It was going to be used when they had their first child. They used it once for her christening and once again for the christening of her sister a few years later and since it has been stored away in a closet. So sad. She said it was too special to use.
I told her that I threw that dress into the washer and dryer before I started to cut it so it can be washed. Since it is satin and was slippery to sew I double sewed the seams and so it's reinforced and strong. It was meant to be used and loved as all quilts are.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

This is where appliqués can be added...plus the used quilts become worth more as in baby antique
quilts value is greater.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM

I use mine too. The broken star quilt my great aunt made for me for my first living away from home apartment over 30 years ago still looks great and I used it daily for most of those years but have since put it on the guest bed when I got my wholecloth quilt done. That quilt has been peed on, barfed on and bled on. I just throw in the front loading washer and wash. It's a little faded but still in great shape. All the quilts I give away I tell the recipient that it is meant to be used not put away.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM

Yes, i think if you put the time into your quilts you should use them better you get some enjoyment out of them
hugs dora
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
I use mine, if they wear out it gives me the perfect excuse to make more!
Absolutely. ...I use mine...but don't need an excuse to make more...lol
Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
I would love to make a bedspread for our bed, but I have kitties that think the bed is theirs. They play outside and when they come in they are not so clean and I would have to wash it a couple times a week. So I use an old sheet that they can sleep on. I'm afraid to go through all that work and then have to cover it with a sheet. I love them and the bed seems to be their "safe place." Sigh, what's a girl to do?
Sewellie...
Do your kitties tend to lay in particular areas of your bed? (for example, my late kitty napped in one corner at the foot, or by my pillow) If so, you can make a smaller quilt for them (think 30" x 30" give or take) and put it in their spot, on top of any quilt you have on the whole bed. Then, when it gets hairy from the cats, just wash the smaller cat quilt. Saves you washing your big quilt as often.
At least this worked for me...
Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 PM

Use those quilts. They are beautiful and need to be loved. Yes we lay on and under our quilts. They are sturdy and hold up well. When I give one as a gift I ask that it be used and enjoyed as that is it's purpose.