Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600, Bottom Line, Connecting Threads and FMQ >

Janome 6600, Bottom Line, Connecting Threads and FMQ

Janome 6600, Bottom Line, Connecting Threads and FMQ

Old 05-25-2013, 08:01 AM

Cool

I just went through what you are going through and I am blessed with having Joann at the LQS where I bought my 6600 a few years ago.....I took it to her yesterday while she was working and she got it FMQ again beautifully by adjusting the tension on the blue bobbin case. In the old days I knew my case was the right tension by taking ahold of the thread in the bobbin and shaking it a bit. If it didn't drop to the floor it was right on or if it wouldn't shake down at all it was to tight. Can't do that anymore but they do get out of adjustment with use and I took mine to classes etc so it got jiggled around a bit. It took some time but she got it going right. Check your manual and it will tell you if you need to turn it right or left. She even knew the page number but I had forgotten my book and she couldn't find the shop one. Good luck, thread and machine is both good. I use Connecting Thread in top and bottom. I forgot to say I use mode 2 which comes up as stitch 11 automatically, number 1 on the pressure foot knob on the top of the machine and the thread tension 5 and of course you already know the feed dogs down. Good luck. I am half done with my quilt FMQing it myself.

Last edited by DarleneW; 05-25-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Sewnoma, I've had that thread for a while. Not sure if it's mahogany, espresso or bark. It's a dark, rich brown.

Darlene, This is the first time I've used my blue bobbin case...so it's pretty disappointing. I thought the whole point of having it was not having to make adjustments. It's really frustrating to think I have to do that, but I'll keep it in mind. Glad it's working out for you and hope to see your latest posted soon!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I also only use titanium coated topstitch needles for all my sewing. I learned through trial and error that the good stuff is good stuff. I use Connecting Threads 50 3 ply wt thread a lot (great colors) and use a size 90/14 needle with a size 60 or 70 wt. thread in the bobbin. I start with 0 tension and go up 1/2 at a time until the stitch is what I want.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Why not try the CT in the bobbin? I used to do that all the time on that machine before I got my HQ. I always used the same thread for both.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

The thin thread in the bobbin makes the seam flatter and the bobbin will hold much more thread. 50 wt 3 ply in both top and bottom makes the seam too thick for my liking and takes up too much of the seam allowance. It's all a matter of preference really. I experimented with all types of thread combinations over the years and know what works for me.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 AM

My sewing machine Viking Sapphire 830 DOES NOT like the CT cotton thread to FMQ with I can use the CT polyester with no trouble to FMQ but not the cotton. Thinner thread is better for my machine when FMQ.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Why not try the CT in the bobbin? I used to do that all the time on that machine before I got my HQ. I always used the same thread for both.
The reason I haven't tried that is the color. I'm using a dark brown on top that blends with the fabric, but my backing is a much lighter beige/grey color. The bottom line thread I've got in my bobbin right now just melts right into the backing fabric & disappears. The quality of my quilting is such that disappearing stitches is a very good thing!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:33 PM

Aurofil does come in colors. Www.nancyrinkdesigns.com sells it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the link, lopts2do. Just lost considerable time reading Nancy's blog, too! I love Amish With a Twist.

Anyone have a good source for the titanium needles?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Thanks for the link, lopts2do. Just lost considerable time reading Nancy's blog, too! I love Amish With a Twist.

Anyone have a good source for the titanium needles?
Superior Threads has titanium coated top stitch needles, and they are on sale now at $4.89 until the end of the month. https://www.superiorthreads.com/prod...chine-needles/ they are the only needle I use now!