Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 PM

I've recently made an arm chair caddy (pockets that drop on each side with a pin cushion to hold it in place on the arm of the chair). Not out 2 days and I have a big ol'ink stain on it. Oh well, it's lived in, now I won't worry about it.

We use our quilts, even the ones I've made for the dogs. Although I do clean those a bit more often then the little scrap blankets.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Anything I Make i use!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:13 PM

Use and enjoy!! I change mine out on the beds monthly, weekly or sometimes daily just to enjoy them. I also use some for beach blankets, picnics, floor pallets for the little ones etc. I have worn some to threads and delight in knowing they were used and enjoyed. I have gifted lots of quilts and always tell the receiver to use and enjoy them. I recently gave a lovely Sunbonnet Sue quilt to my little granddaughter and she loved it, rolled it into a ball and sat on it. Then she wrapped herself into it like a shawl and bounced off to show her Dad. It made my heart sing with sheer delight. She knew it was all hers to do with as she pleased with NO restrictions.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM

I've given so many quilts away as gifts or to auctions and fund raisers and a few of them I heard were not being used, they were being hung on a wall. When I asked one of the recipients (of a baby quilt) why they were not using it for the baby they replied that they didn't want the baby to spit up on it, get it dirty or tear it. I told them that is fine with me if they want to hang it up, but that it wasn't my intention when I was making it. When I make a baby quilt I imagine the baby laying on top of it on the floor surrounded by toys and playing and enjoying it.. when it gets old and worn it will be a fond item for them to keep. I usually tell people that I would love to see my quilt be the most worn out, soft, over washed blanket in the house.. I want it to go on picnics and be used to comfort someone when they're home sick on the sofa with a box of tissues... those are the items I would cherish... those are the items that I DO cherish.. my son was the recipient of the first full size quilt I had made and it has had so many repairs that it looks like Frankenstein.. I don't care.. I don't even care if the repairs are visible.. he loves it so much and it's the first thing he asks for when he's not feeling well or if he is sad..

Use your quilts.. the love you put in them when you made them should be wrapped all around your family when they are warmed by them!!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:37 PM

My former mother in law made a quilt that to this day I never saw. From knowing the perfectionist she was, I'm sure she did an outstanding job on it. She made this for her daughter who was a little girl at the time, and then put it in the closet. I heard about this quilt a few years ago from her daughter. This woman passed away recently and her daughter finally got the quilt. However, who knows how it held up in the closet and she never saw her daughter enjoy the quilt and now her daughter has the memory of the quilt her Mom made that was just too good to be given to her by her Mom, but was good enough to be given to the closet.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM

I know its hard.. Better to use them,,
Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 PM

I use my quilts everywhere - on beds, as throws, bath mats. Table runners might go on tables or they might get used on window ledges. I make them to enjoy them and love the colour all over the house.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I do think that newly made quilts fall into two categories -

Those that are meant to be used -
And those that are made to be art or heirloom quilts.

Then there are the ones with sentimental value - which can fall into either category.

I do think there comes a time when a quilt becomes very worn, very tattered, very faded - when it is time to say 'goodbye' to it. (Sort of like helping a pet over the Rainbow Bridge when it's time) I'm not quite sure when 'that time' is - -
What I've see of "art" quilts, they are for display on a wall or such.

Heirloom quilts aren't made to be heirloom, generally. A finely made quilt will become an heirloom. Still------why have a quilt if it needs to be stored away and treated gingerly? After age and use, I understand careful storage, but I see no value in a quilt meant to be stored for a lifetime.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
My former mother in law made a quilt that to this day I never saw. From knowing the perfectionist she was, I'm sure she did an outstanding job on it. She made this for her daughter who was a little girl at the time, and then put it in the closet. I heard about this quilt a few years ago from her daughter. This woman passed away recently and her daughter finally got the quilt. However, who knows how it held up in the closet and she never saw her daughter enjoy the quilt and now her daughter has the memory of the quilt her Mom made that was just too good to be given to her by her Mom, but was good enough to be given to the closet.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! There's great point. "good enough to be given to the closet".
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Like most quilters, most of my quilts have gone to others. Now that I have actually made one for myself, it is on my bed. I actually make my bed every morning just to look at the quilt I made.

That said, the cats don't have access to my bedroom. Don't need hairballs and cat ralph on my quilt. As for others, what they do with my quilts is up to them.

On another note, my sister made a beautiful Baltimore Quilt. she has it on her bed and uses it every day. A ton more work than I ever put into a quilt. When I went to visit her, the bed I slept in had one of her quilts and another hung on the wall. Quilts is meant to be used. If one gets used up... I'll make more.

tim in san jose