Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting burnout >

quilting burnout

quilting burnout

Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 AM

Sometimes you just need to work on something simple, that won't tax your brain..When I feel like this I work on blocks for a string quilt, or sewing scrap blocks together,. Before I know it, I am bored with the simple work and ready for a new challenge!
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 AM

I had burnout but the fever has returned. I know having friends to quilt with keeps me going sometimes. Just go with the flow. You probably just need some time away from it and the urge will come back.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:13 AM

When I don't feel like sewing/quilting I don't. I don't want to force it b/c it's something for fun, not to be forced. So I will move onto something else I like to do. I'm an avid cross stitcher forever so I always have projects on the go (I pulled out one last night from 2004!!!) and when I don't feel like doing that either I usually knit a scarf. I'm also the type of person that has a book in each room so I can just pick up where I left off.

So I don't stress when I don't finish something, there is usually a reason, and I'm not ready yet to finish it.

Sometimes the best way to get back into it is to clean and organize, give the sewing machine a good clean out and oiling, tidy up the shelves, rearrange my quilting books and go through my fabrics and think about what looks good together. Usually by that point I have all my ducks in a row and can finish something.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:00 AM

I'm right with you. I did one small quilt top and it was a really easy one. I think allergies are taking away my mojo. I do have to make a quilt in less than a month and a few other projects that have to be done some time soon. It's ok to take a break from it. We always go back when we feel like it.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 PM

When I started quilting, I made a promise to myself, to finish one quilt before I started another. So far it has worked for me.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM

That is where I am at. Had plans for projects this winter but did nothing except basting of 3 UFOs (still UFOs) until this past week. I have done some quilting every night. Remember how much it relaxed me & how fun it is. Cleaning & organizing my space helps me so much. Sorting out the UFOs & deciding which ones to start with & there is always that trip to the local quilt shop that helps. Buying something new for my space, a new candle or fabric motivates me!! Happy Quilting!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 PM

If there is a job that I am dreading, that's when I find anything else to do (even housework) rather than work on it. I was working on a quilt that I was not liking and that really put me in a funk. I finally put it aside for a bit, found a pattern that I've been wanting to make and went stash shopping. It was fun working on something that hasn't been sitting around for a couple of years for me to get to.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Me too! I haven't been in the mood for quilting/sewing since February. I have thought about it, a lot though (does that count?). I am hoping to get back in the mood soon as I have a quilt I want to finish.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:48 PM

I haven't necessarily lost my mojo for quilting, but I have for buying fabric. I can't believe it! I went to the local fabric store today, and didn't see a single thing that I wanted! Of course, I had to buy something... I ended up buying batting and needles. Huh!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Aria View Post
I haven't necessarily lost my mojo for quilting, but I have for buying fabric. I can't believe it! I went to the local fabric store today, and didn't see a single thing that I wanted! Of course, I had to buy something... I ended up buying batting and needles. Huh!
lol,can not run out of those things