Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Save those "tiny" leftover scraps >
  • Save those "tiny" leftover scraps

• Save those "tiny" leftover scraps

Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 AM

interesting fun idea...talk about a scrappy rag quilt!....I just might try that!.....oh.....pic please!!!!
    Old 05-29-2013, 02:56 AM

Sandrea, what a neat idea to use small pieces of cloth, no matter how small they are! I have used fine tulle as a top layer for a couple projects, and it is great for FMQ, too. Thanks for sharing your information. Now and then it is soothing to do a fun project "just because."
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 AM

This sounds great. Show us a picture please..
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 AM

[QUOTE=Sandrea I had to teach a class at the American Sewing Guild Sewing Retreat in Sebring last month and I taught the stitch and slash pillow and that was how I ended up with all the pretty discarded pieces.

Sandrea, I am curious to know..........what is a stitch and slash pillow? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 AM

I think of you guys every time I sweep off the dining room table and throw an armful of scraps into the trash. As interesting as this kind of thing sounds, I just don't have it in me to save everything. Too much stuff actually is stressful for me. This does sound like a really fun project to do at a workshop or something. Perhaps in a few years when I retire and have more time to call my own, I'll change my tune
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    I too have trouble throwing even small pieces away. I am glad I read this today, I need a back for a scarp quilt and this is what I am going to try. Thanks.
    I"m not so sure you would want it for the back of a large quilt. By the time you layer the snippets onto fusible, and all the dense quilting, I would think it would have a tendency to become quite stiff. I'm not so sure it would be a comfy cozy quilt. Just a thought. I think it is more for decorative, or things like bags. Joannes has such a big selection of the tulles, some even with sparkles. I've seen some art pieces like that, they are pretty. You could add shells and buttons or beads. I saw a mermaid one somewhere. It was beautiful.
    Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 AM
    Power Poster

I save tiny pieces and sometimes I throw large pieces away. My mood goes from thrifty to get it out of my sight each time I clean my sewing room.
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 AM

I have been sewing my small scraps but without the foundation...it's called "making fabric" but most of the time I discard anything 1/2"
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 AM

What a great idea.
    Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose
    meeetoooo! I was cleaning up my sewing room today and had trouble throwing pieces out. I'd be brave and say I don't really need it; but then I hover over the trash can, my hands won't release it lol but good idea, think I'll give it a try. think I saw something like this long while ago where you put a layer of tulle also
    My hands don't hover, I actually drop it and then pick it out again. LOL I save anything 1/2 inch or bigger. The smaller the piece, the smaller I make my seams. On a strip 1/2 inch wide, I make 1/8 inch seams and still have 1/4 inch of beautiful fabric showing. These small pieces have to be really eye-catching though. Not too much blah stuff. I have enough of that right now to make a few crumb quilts - - - next year! ! !