Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To starch or not to startch..... >

To starch or not to startch.....

To starch or not to startch.....

Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM

I usually only use starch on my applique pieces when turning the edges under before stitching. Going to have to try the starching before cutting method.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM

I pre-wash and starch all my fabrics before making anything. Different fabrics will shrink at different rates. If you prewash you take care of any wonkiness that may occur. I use sta-flo so that I can make it as light or strong as I need. I don't worry about the starch flaking as I iron because the flakes always come off as you work with the fabric AND all the starch will be gone with the first wash.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Gay

I find starched fabrics better to work with, sharper rotary cutting, easier diagonal cuts, the shapes sit better when sewing, and even when quilting with the LA is smoother. Aerosol starch becomes too expensive, so I bought a jar of powdered starch from the supermarket & make up enough to use in a spray bottle. You can mix it stronger than the aerosol stuff.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 AM

My mother never starched any quilt fabric so I did the same until I had a large number of half square triangles. It has made all the difference in the world to my cutting. The pieces go together so much better. I am not a believer in starch especially if you have bias edges. I would not worry about your machine or washing the pieces unless you are going to store the finished project for a long time.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 AM

I pre-wash my fabrics and use the starch cycle on my Miele washing machine. Since you are in the UK, you are more likely to have this option. It is very convenient.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM

I don't prewash my fabrics, although I used to. Here's my answers:
But can I please ask you some questions...

1. If you use starch do you use it on all projects? yes, I starch my fabrics that I'll be using a minimum of 2 hours before I plan on using, then I either air dry or dry in the dryer a few minutes. If you simply starch, then iron, you're "ironing" the starch, not the fabric, which is why your iron will get all yucky.

2. I starched the fabric before I cut it.....is that correct? yes
3. Will it have any effect on my machine if I use it a lot? never had a problem with starching affecting my machine.
4. Should I wash it out of the quilt before I sandwich it....or when sandwiched or simply leave it in? I don't wash the quilt until after I finish binding it.

I am using a spray on startch......any advice re the use of it would be gratefully received-I use Sta-Flo concentrated starch and mix it 50/50. It's a lot cheaper than the canned spray starch, goes a lot farther and is more "environmentally suited. You can also find recipes for making your own homemade starch, which I don't do, since I try to stay as far away from the stove as I can. LOL
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I am from the W & S school. Wash the fabric, dry to damp dry, press it dry.

Make starch from Niagara concentrate to medium. I starch after I cut the amount needed and before I sub cut it into strips or squares.
Example: If I need four 2" wide strips @ WOF I will cut a piece of fabric a little bigger than 8" wide for squaring, then I starch that piece of fabric then sub cut it into 2"wide strips.

Starch on back of material. LET IT SOAK IN TO GET ALL THE FIBERS INVOLVED. Press and then starch a second time.

What a difference in control. There should be no problems with starch and your machine.

Only wash tops after they have been quilted and binding is done. You don't have to wash the starch out of the quilt if you don't want to.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 05-28-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM

I am also a great believer in starch. To add to what has been said already, as I was reading Heirloom Machine Quilting again yesterday, Harriet Hargrave recommends starching your backing as well, as it can help to reduce the drag on your quilt as you move it around.

Cheers, K
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM

I didn't used to starch until I started doing a BOM with nothing but HSTs. Read the trick about starching and now I starch as I press the HSTs. Made working with them a dream and makes my blocks much more precise. I just use spray starch that I buy at the Dollar Store.