Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Looking for nice place to camp in Virginia? >

Looking for nice place to camp in Virginia?

Looking for nice place to camp in Virginia?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Looking for nice place to camp in Virginia?

DH and I are planning an RV trip to Virginia in Sept. - specifically the Shanendoah Valley and Blue Ridge Parkway. We have never been there before , so if anyone can offer suggestions for a good place to camp, it would be appreciated. We are looking for campgrounds with hook ups. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM

I know nothing about campgrounds, but I do know that is a beautiful area. Much of my family lives in southwest Virginia. There is no prettier place as far as I'm concerned than the area between Gate City, VA and Ashville, NC. I hope you enjoy your trip.

This little will get you started on your research.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=142
Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 AM

Thank you Lisa I bookmarked that site so we can have a good look at it. We are really looking forward to our trip as I have heard how beautiful it is in that area.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I have stayed in Wytheville ..Very pretty campground....Very clean and quiet....Also there is a place east of Wytheville
on Rt 81 going east...I am not sure of the name but we stayed there once on our way to Norfolk..It was not far from Wytheville. It also was a very pretty grounds and very quiet...Enjoy your trip...I suggest you get the Woodalls book of camp grounds...it is a good investment...
Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 AM

Virginia has beautiful state parks, ranked very high in the nation. We have stayed several times at Hungary Mother state park, near Marion. Its further down 81 than Shenandoah. There are some nice quilt shops in Staunton and Dayton (near Harrisonburg). Also the Green Valley book fair is near Harrisonburg, neat place for books.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

This too weird! DH & I are currently staying at the Luray KOA in the Shenandoah Valley. We stayed here 3 years ago and made a point of coming back. It is a KOA so the owner can benefit from the franchise advertising but don't let that scare you away. DH & I usually avoid KOA's, we like peaceful, serene surroundings and this place fits the bill. Lots of grass & trees and the views are gorgeous. We're a 42' motorhome and don't feel "squished" at all. Hubby is up on the parkways on his Harley most of the time (making great sewing time for me ). September should be perfect, school will be back in session. Check it out: www.LurayKOA.com
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by baskets4moo View Post
This too weird! DH & I are currently staying at the Luray KOA in the Shenandoah Valley. We stayed here 3 years ago and made a point of coming back. It is a KOA so the owner can benefit from the franchise advertising but don't let that scare you away. DH & I usually avoid KOA's, we like peaceful, serene surroundings and this place fits the bill. Lots of grass & trees and the views are gorgeous. We're a 42' motorhome and don't feel "squished" at all. Hubby is up on the parkways on his Harley most of the time (making great sewing time for me ). September should be perfect, school will be back in session. Check it out: www.LurayKOA.com
Thanks so much, what luck that was with you already staying there!