Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Now if I could cut straight and sew straight >

Now if I could cut straight and sew straight

Now if I could cut straight and sew straight

Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 AM

I stood in line then it closed for the day. Where do we go from there ? I have to use all that God gave me but at times that is very little. I am happy playing in my fabrics.......Piece by piece.... Hugs
Old 06-01-2013, 06:22 AM

I've been sewing since I was 12 and have made items ranging from designer outerwear to business suits to simple and complicated quilt patterns. Just took a look at the seams I sewed for my latest D9P and there is not a single perfectly-straight line anywhere. Off by two threads here and there in either direction, or starting at exactly 1/4" and ending up who knows where. Don't blame yourself and just compensate with block placement and squaring up.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 AM

I don't have to intentionally leave anything errors in my block to keep it from being perfect!!!! I just happens naturally. As for striaght, I do love the Shape Cut ruler by June Tailer, I bought one at the Quilt Show and have been cutting straight strips since, what a gem!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:27 AM

You must have been standing in the same line as me, because that is not one of my strengths and apparently my baby was standing in that same line cause its genetic
Old 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM

You're in good company! I'm the same way...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:16 AM

Red face

I like the comment that the Amish intentionally have a mistake, that makes me more than Amish. Sometimes if you have enough off and crooked, it looks intentional. Lucky for me! All kidding aside, the rotary cutter is important, I picked up a new one, it was reasonable, but it does not cut straight for me, not sure if the blade goes too far past the body of the cutter and it bends. Cuts like a charm, but never straight, trouble is it took me a big quilt to see that one, it would be great for cutting paper if I was not concerned with accuracy. Oh the things we learn. If I did not smile about it, I could have a good cry!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM

we are suppose to cut & sew straight ?????
I do not remember reading that rule !!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 AM

AMEN!! Those are my favorites also. Is there a setting on your machine where you can slow the machine down? If not, just practice not pressing down as hard on the foot pedal.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Banned

when i cut and sew straight it lessens my frustration and need to rip out.
I don't believe in honoring inperfection. Now inperfection can be of differing degrees, When the pieces fit that makes me feel better. Wonky is ok if it is deliberate and not accidental. I do have some problem when an answer to correcting a problem is "its your quilt, you can do anything you want" or when it is on the bed you won't see the different in the width at top or bottom.......or the galloping horse theory of workmanship......bah humbug