Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting wavy lines >

Quilting wavy lines

Quilting wavy lines

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 PM

You've gotten a lot of information about how to do the wavy stitches. I had the jumping around problem - or at least a jumping around problem when I was free motion quilting and found that if I used some the bands for my hands from
Steady Betty that I no longer had that problem. Hmmmmm. Sounds confusing. Some people use garden gloves, some people use special gloves for FMQ and I like the things that fit around the palms of my hands and allow me to move the quilt sandwich more easily and smoothly. That's what helped me get rid of a lot of the hopes and bumps. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
When using a walking foot for making wavy lines, it's a matter of gently moving the quilt sandwich as it feeds into the walking foot. I never had difficulty with it, so I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Regarding FMQ, have you tried doing it with the feed dogs up? That can help with the jumping around problem.

Otherwise, I do not see that sewing horizontally would be any easier than sewing the length of the quilt. It could be more difficult because there would be more bulk under the arm of the machine to manage.
I agree with this except to say that I have an excellent walking foot made by Bernina that I use on my 1972 Bernina Record 830, and I have an off brand one that came with one of my other vintage machines. I can tell you that there is a difference between one walking foot and another. I think the key to the wavy lines is probably to keep the waves very gradual. I do have better luck with the walking foot than with FMQ for that, but I'm not very good at FMQ in general.