Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If you have a son who is married....... >

If you have a son who is married.......

If you have a son who is married.......

Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM

We love our DIL and I did fine until rehearsal evening. I had what I term as a melt down at the rehearsal when one of the groomsmen started walking me down to be seated. Sqaulled like a baby. I finally got my breath and asked my DIL would she mind if my son walked me down to be seated. She whole heartedly agreed and once I got on my son's arm,I was fine. I had never even thought of him seating me until that moment at the rehearsal. I don't know what caused the hysterical reaction. All my friends thought it was so sweet with my son seating me. It was a beautiful wedding and I love my DIL. I hope your son gets a girl that you love.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
nms

Son was married 3 years ago. His wife would not be my choice for my son. We don't see him very much any more and they are local. The wedding was a very difficult day for me. I feel like I lost my son. They are discussing children. Unfortunately, I will be the Gramma they don't see very much. Thank God I have my daughter. I completely understand-a son is a son till he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life. Can't pick your children's spouses (
Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 PM

I have 3 sons, all married, 2 with children of their own. I am happy with their choices, having said that, I miss the days when I was the person they came to with problems, or just to talk. But I'm glad that they all have that closeness with their wives, because realistically, the marriages wouldn't be very solid if my boys came to me first.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Don't look at as you are loosing a son, look at the beautiful daughter you just received. Without her you'd have no grandchildren from him. Be as happy for them as they are
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Both of my sons are divorced and I knew it would happen. I really cried at both and they were not happy tears. But all are good parents as far as supporting and raising the girls. I was there for moral support. One custom I have always hated and thought disrespectful is when the bride and groom shove the cake and really smear it all over each others face. I went to a wedding where the bride's father nearly punched the groom for doing it. She did not expect it. Groom's side thought it was funny! Not bride's.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM

My son was 30, she was 26. I won't say anything nice about her so won't. But they have been together about 10 years.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 PM

My mother-in-law never liked me. I tried for many years but finally decided enough was enough. I never said a bad word about her to my kids and let the kids spend time with her every summer for a couple of weeks. She never had a good word to say about me - told my kids I was lazy. (worked full time and was room mom for both of them through elementary school years) Guess who picked her nursing home?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM

I have 3 DILs. I love one, like one, and not happy about the other. But the sons seem happy enough. Actually all of them work long hours and hugely involved with their kids activities. I really don't know how they have time to sleep. In fact, I'm pretty sure they don't get enough sleep. I wish we lived close enough to help, but we live far away from all of 'em.

How do you feel about your son getting married?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by PB from MN View Post
I have a tendency to look at things a bit differently than others, and that will show in my response.

I have 2 sons, neither of them are married or currently involved with anyone. I have to say I would like them to have a special someone in their lives. At the same time, I am currently the most important woman in their lives and I often wonder what will happen when I no longer am. I think it is a mother of son's thing, I do not see this happening with women who have daughters.

We raise our children to be independent, contributing members of society-but why do they need to be so independent??? They are still supposed to need me.
I have 2 twenty something, not involved with anyone sons, too. They live together in a house my older son owns, but still spend most of their time here. I honest-to-God don't make them come over, eat here or make them feel guilty when they go out. I have been very nice to the girls they HAVE brought around. I sometimes get " antsy" that they will never move on and get married, but I have so many other mothers telling me I'm so lucky my sons are still around! And I know I am. My brother was married to the most evil, horrid woman I can imagine, which scares me to death to think they might pick someone like that, so when I think of that as an option, they can hang around here forever! Plus I know that someday I will be an old woman in a nursing home, and will treasure and want to relive all these days with my sons.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM

I have two sons. Only the youngest is married. They were married in '09. GS was born in '06, so they put the cart before the horse! I was very excited for the marriage. If I had to choose, she would have been exactly my choice. We were very involved with the wedding, and have remained very involved with the grandkids. We speak several times a week, and she is truly the daughter I never had. She is from a large blended family, but they are not close by. Prior to the wedding I never felt a sense of loss, or sadness, just so happy for both of them. They truly adore each other. DH and I have been married 38 years, and they often speak about how they hope they will have the same longevity that we do.

What troubles you? What do you fear? Perhaps there is something you can discuss with your son. My son and I were/are extremely close, so I never feared losing him, nor do I feel in competition with her. Hope you can find some answers through these posts....please let us know!