Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do? >

What to do?

What to do?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM

That is such a beautiful quilt I love the Double Wedding Ring and you can probably fix the spots that have the holes and make it look beautiful and have a great momento and not only that nobody has to look that close to see if there are problems if she had finished it you would have taken it and not said much to her except thanks for thinking enough of me to make it. Maybe you can hide the worse part. Good luck. Sue
Old 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't redo anything.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM

One of the Nurses at the hospital where I work brought me blocks that her mother made but never joined together.
She wanted me to incorporate them into pillow tops to give all her brothers/sisters/nieces/nephews, etc. for a Christmas present to remind them of her mother. Maybe some that are in better shape could be used for this purpose?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:49 PM

I wouldn't change anything.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I agree with Tashana. On the label you could reference your mother like "This quilt was to become a loving memory for a daughter by her mother, but was finished by the daughter in loving memory of her mother." You could insert your names and approximate date started and then the finishing date. Leave your mothers stitches in and finish with yours. I wouldn't rip one stitch out. Every time you look at that quilt you can point out to everyone which stitches she lovingly created for you. I would look at each stitch as a gift from her heart to yours.
Tessagin has said this just right. I hope you do finish it and make an informative label. You will be glad you did and will not see the imperfections any more than I would notice them in your pictures. Your mother made about as pretty a DWR top as I've seen. I love her choice of fabrics. If you have to fill in the holes, maybe you can tuck in little bits of very similar fabric and hand stitch around them, turning the top fabric in as in needle turned applique. That type of patch would be effective and hard to spot, especially after it's quilted. Good luck with it.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:21 AM

What wonderful stories! The quilt is gorgeous. No one has mentioned what state is the fabric in? I've finished some "old" quilt tops that were too fragile to wash. Backing it with muslin would be a good idea if that was the case. Best wishes for finishing this.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
No one has mentioned what state is the fabric in? I've finished some "old" quilt tops that were too fragile to wash.
Good point! She started this quilt in 1998 and the fabrics were purchased for this quilt about that time. It's been in a plastic bin in the closet since then, so I'm thinking they should be fine. I am sure hoping so! Thanks again...you ladies think of everything.