Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting? >

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Two things:

1. Letter opener with sharp blade.

I chain sew several seams at one stretch to save time and thread. The letter opener will quickly clip the items apart. :-)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

2. Plastic cylindrical cheese bottles with flip lids.

Great way to store "open" safety pins or binding clips. You can shake out what you need and add to contents without worry of the whole mess being scattered across the floor.

Last edited by kay carlson; 06-08-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2013, 04:16 AM

I use a clip magnet on my collar or shirt for pins when I hand sew while traveling or when my pin cushion may not be handy. I am less likely to lose any pins by doing this.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by flikkem View Post
I use a clip magnet on my collar or shirt for pins when I hand sew while traveling or when my pin cushion may not be handy. I am less likely to lose any pins by doing this.
Flikkem, I love your JUNE calendar avatar! I am almost done... running a bit late.....
Old 06-09-2013, 04:50 AM

I use a paper towel tube cut lengthwise to hold rolled big patterns (my calendar quilts for example). Wrap the tube around the middle of the rolled item and it won't unroll. Martha Stewart is such an organizer....

I also use paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes to store appliqué stems so they don't unfold. With short appliqué pins, I pin one end into the tube, wrap snugly but without distorting the stem, and then pin the other end. The stems stay nice and crisp and folded until I am ready to use them.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 AM

I use a carpenter's chalk line and a quilting ruler to square up my quilt.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 AM

I use a lot of the same things as everyone else, learned some new also.

I use my salad spinner to pre-wash and rinse my pre-cuts or scraps if needed
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 AM

Now that is a great idea!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Used manilla folders to make templates
Red "Easter" celo wrap (for baskets) as a viewer for color value (for all colors other than reds & browns)
A blue wine glass as a color value viewer (to view reds and browns)
A large carpenters T square for cutting long lengths of fabric - mine has a "guard" on the cutting edge too!
I also use poster board you get from Dollar store - 2 sheets/$!. Very easy and fast to trace around.

Marysewfun
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
The most useful tip I have learned in yrs. came from the QB. Somebody talked about how to make a bobbin holder using a pc. of clear plastic corner moulding for drywall (found in lumber dept. at Lowe's or Home Depot). I also buy 1 1/2" hooks.
My work table has wood bookshelves over it. For the space I have, I insert 3 screws at equal distances apart since I use a pc. about 26-30" long. I gently push the plastic pc. into the hooks & tip it fwd. slightly into a gentle V shape. It has the right amt. of tight fit into the hooks. The bobbins sit on it perfectly & you can see the thread colors at a glance. I made little cardboard triangles & glued to the ends so the bobbins wouldn't fall off the end.

There is also a larger plastic moulding that thread spools would fit perfectly on but I haven't put it up yet.

These mouldings are usually found in a barrel type container or a tall cardboard box sitting on the floor. They're usually a puzzle to find because most employees have no idea what they're for. One Home Depot even had the container sitting in the paint dept. so you have to challenge them to find these things. I really loved this idea.
Pat G

You should have heard them when I told them what I was using it for. They thought I was so clever. LOL. It really is such a great idea.
Could you please post a picture of this?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Marysewfun View Post
I also use poster board you get from Dollar store - 2 sheets/$!. Very easy and fast to trace around. Marysewfun
....... and I've started using the lids from yogurt containers to cut templates from. Discarded tupperware lids work great too.