Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting? >

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

do you use anything "unusual" around the house in your quilting?

Old 06-09-2013, 06:42 AM

I made an apron with divided pockets of various widths across the bottom. I have skinny pockets for my fabric marker and little artist's paint brush (bought a whole pack of them from the dollar store) that I use to clean lint from my machine, put my seam ripper, tweezers, extra bobbins, little screwdriver, etc. in the other pockets. I clip my thread snips to the bib on a retractable leash and pin a piece of batting on the other side of the bib to stick loose thread ends on and hold a hand needle.
I also used an old pencil case from my kids' school days to make a hand-sewing kit. It's a clear plastic box with a swing open lid (about 5 by 8"). I keep some thread snips and a packet of hand needles in it. When I'm finishing the binding on a quilt, I just throw in a spool of the right color thread, a few pins or wonder clips and take the box to the TV with me. I line the bottom with a piece of batting so I can throw any little thread pieces right in the box and just toss the batting in the trash when I'm through.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM

One more use for toilet paper cores - you can roll up your item (like stabilizers, or whatever) - slice one side of the toilet paper core so it slips around it and MARK on it what it is - like "water soluble", even good for storing cords - like my Kindle cord; smaller rolls of fabric and netting.

This is fun! And I have seen so many neat entries to try.

Marysewfun
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 AM

One more use for toilet paper cores - you can roll up your item (like stabilizers, or whatever) - slice one side of the toilet paper core so it slips around it and MARK on it what it is - like "water soluble", even good for storing cords - like my Kindle cord; smaller rolls of fabric and netting.

This is fun! And I have seen so many neat entries to try.

Marysewfun
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 AM

As always QB members are a wealth of information to share. Whenever a question is posed like this one I always find a few more ideas to try. Thanks so much for all of the ideas.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM

I would love to post a pic of my favorite, but I don't know how. It is a Tide's Pod container that my sister decorated so beautifully. I use it for my cutting scraps and is so handy. I will keep trying to post a pic cause it is so cute.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 AM

There are a lot of great tips here! Thank you!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 AM

My granddaughter decorated an empty can with pretty paper and I use it near my machine to hold pencils, seam rippers, etc.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
I use a long pipe cleaner to remove any dust or fluff from my machine. Much more pliable than a brush and can get right down into the machine. My mechanic has said on several occasions that my machines are the cleanest he's ever seen. He has told me I need only have them serviced every 2 years instead of every 12 months.
Now thats a great idea
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 AM

I forgot to mention that I use a cookbook holder for my pattern and whatever project I am currently working on. Hold it upright, not in the way and sure helps out
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM

I use the clear zippered bag that sheet sets or blankets come in to store scraps. It's clear so I can see everything inside, and the zippered top keeps my fur babies from "playing" with the scraps. I find that I can really scrunch a lot of scraps into one of these.