Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble? >

Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM

I use TJ Lane's open end thimbles, to me they are the best. Some may say pricy, but I use them an how.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 PM

If and when I use a thimble, I use a leather one if I want something lightweight, and a goatskin one if I want a heavier one....they are a double layer of goat leather.
http://www.considinecreations.com/thimbles.htm
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM

I have used Roxanne's and Thimblelady's for many years. Like the deep dimples. Recently purchased T. J. Lane, and I like it because it's lighter weight. Dimples not as deep. I interchange thimbles depending on the size of my finger the day I quilt.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter View Post
I have used Roxanne's and Thimblelady's for many years. Like the deep dimples. Recently purchased T. J. Lane, and I like it because it's lighter weight. Dimples not as deep. I interchange thimbles depending on the size of my finger the day I quilt.
You ask the folks at TJ Lane to deepen the dimples. I sent mine back and they had it back to me within two weeks. It cost $10 for the shipping.

Janet
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I have several different ones, plastic, leather, and the little dots to put on my finger, but I really prefer the silver ones with the indented top. I only use it for hand quilting.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 PM

I don't use a thimble. Never could get used to one. I do put band aids around my thimble fingers when I quilt. Works for me.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 PM

i use roxanne thimble. when i first got it, it fitted well but due to climatic changes, my finger swelled up and I couldn't use it. I recently took it out and started using again and though it started off tight, as I started using it for 10-15min, my finger started to shrink inside the thimble making it very comfy. I would not say that it is a 100% perfect fit, but it doesn't drop off my finger at least. according to the company, if you are quilting ergonomically correct, your fingers will start to shrink alittle inside. would highly recommend roxanne thimble to anyone.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM

I collect thimbles--the collectable kind from different areas of the world. I know that isn't what you all wanted to hear but just letting you know of other "uses". And to add a thought of fun thimbles!
Laurel
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 AM

Are you kidding? Ladies don't waste your time on leather thimbles. They work great for about a week, then start wearing thin and get holes in them very quickly. I too am a fan of the thimbles from the thimblelady.com in Austrailia. I only quilt by hand. Yes, I believe it is a far superior thimble and the "magic" you are looking for!! It makes quilting a true pleasure and the thimbles are expensive but well worth it cause you can use it forever. It is a very comfortable thimble and once you try it you will never go back to the el cheapos you can get at joann's.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 AM

I use the Clover brand that is silicone with a metal top. It helps with pulling needles through fabric.